CanMonkey be considered a software developing tool

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/CanMonkey be considered a software developing tool

hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#1]
I know that you can do it but the question is right to use it
for that as well

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
What is your question again?

Does Monkey help you develop software? Yes it does.

Is it part of a pipeline for developmenting software? Yes it is.

EdzUp(Posted 2012) [#3]
TBH I am thinking of moving to Monkey from BlitzMax, yeah its a whole different beasty but I am slowly getting used to the quirks.

One thing I would love is a official Linux target as this would complete the whole of Monkey, as it would be able to do Windows/OSX/Linux/iOS/Android/Windows Phone and XBox :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
It's does target Linux .???

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#5]
It's does target Linux .???
Kind of.
CanMonkey be considered a software developing tool
Simple answer is yes. In one respect any thing that allows you to develop software would be considered a development tool be it compilers, IDE's or API's.
I would even go as far as saying that any thing that can create content for use in an application could also be considered development tools.
I know that you can do it but the question is right to use it
for that as well
Think what you really wanted to know here is it practical to use monkey for writing any thing other cross platform games. I will be contradictory here and say yes if using the stdcpp target and if the necessary platform API's have been wrapped. But the problem here is you will be limited to those devices that can compile cpp (eg. ios,x86). So then my answer is no. Though I have be tinkering with the idea of some how integrating a menu that's a html5/flash target into a website.

I'm one of those people that's a firm believer in using the right tool for the job in hand. As I believe Mark mostly wrote Monkey for cross platform game development. I would use monkey mostly for that purpose only.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#6]
I will be contradictory here and say yes if using the stdcpp target and if the necessary platform API's have been wrapped. But the problem here is you will be limited to those devices that can compile cpp (eg. ios,x86). So then my answer is no.

Monkey can compile to Java, so I *think* the only requirement would be to extern most of the swing framework. I supose creating a specific target for this would take lots and lots of time (becouse the whole set of things that will have to get exported), but it is technically possible if you think on targeting Windows, MacOs and Linux

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#7]
@ziggy: I was only thinking of the current targets that monkey supports out of the box once the relative sdk's are installed. If a java target could/was added then yes it defiantly would open many more possibilities. Then again may be also adding C# target could be useful as well.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#8]
@dawlane: A java target IS already there. Android uses Java as its compilation target language. It's the third of the "Monkey languages" here too: http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Monkey/about.php

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#9]
@ziggy: The java code generator is there but there's no "Standard Java" target like there is for the stdcpp target.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#10]
If you were to extern most of the Java API there would be no point in using monkey. I actually developed a fully working libgdx target for monkey in the hope it would outperform Mark's android implementation. Turns out it didn't.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#11]
like there is for the stdcpp target.
But this target is limited basically to the OS module, so not really very different as it's exporting a very small subset of the stdl functionalities. I mean, monkey can generate Java code. Creatin a pure Java target comarable to the current stdcpp should not take more than one day or work more or less. them porting the java "libraries" to monkey is another story...