Keyboard Module.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Keyboard Module.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
Sup all.

I am currently writing a keyboard module for my game, which will in turn be used for all my future projects, at the moment the layout resembles that Apple layout, but I wanted some feedback, and to know if there are any potential issues with app submissions.

As in the video, you can position and or drag or move the keyboard anywhere on screen you like, and it will still work, clicking shift/case will toggle the upper or lower buttons.

The buttons are on an Atlas Image, making custom themes for the keys as simple as changing one image, in fact you could have a different set for each part of your game.

I have not yet added numbers, I might just add them in a row above the querty line and bellow the text entry line. or might make them a toggle like the case toggle button.

If I make them a toggle then I could fill the empty buttons in the set with other characters like &^%$£$ etc.

Anyway just need some feedback, is there anything is MUST be able to do for any of the platforms, like apple, or windows, or android.

Is there anything It should not do..

OH!!. forgot to say I am going to code it with the target filters so for example if you build for XNA, it will not look for touch, it will display a little select reticle and let you enter letters xbox style, iOS , Android and Windows will use touch. and PC will use mouse and actual typing.

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#2]
Several things come to mind:

1) Why? Do you not like native keyboards?
2) how will you handle portrait mode, tablets etc?
3) Feedback. The native keyboards pop up a tab with character you press.
4) The native keyboards have different layouts for email, phone numbers, etc. Any plans for that sort of stuff?

JIM(Posted 2012) [#3]
The main reason people don't usually write their own keyboards is localization.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
@Beaker
1. well for a start I have not seen anyone using native with monkey, and dont yet have a developer license to test it myself so got no clue how to pop one up or even interact with one.

2. I will add that as an option, keyboard.flip or something like that.

3. dont follow, but if I get what your meaning then mine does as well.

4. At the moment I hay the two, one for lower case, and another for upper, I will add a third for numbers and additional characters that are less commonly used.

As for one for numbers, if you mean like a phone pad then probably not I cant see any need for it in a game, but if I need it I will add it.

@JIM that's not really an issue, if your game needs to be localized , to say Chinese then your going to be creating a language port of all or any text in the game anyway, so creating a Chinese keyboard set would just be part of that.

I need feedback on it's functionality tho guys, and any possible issues I might get from the submission process at either apple, windows, or android as thats something I have no experience with.

And as to the native keyboards, if anyone can share how to interact with them for say , windows mobile, ios or android let us know.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#5]
You do know that Monkey has EnableKeyboard and DisableKeyboard commands for iOS and Android?

http://blitz-wiki.appspot.com/EnableKeyboard

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#6]
I didn't actually.

"On the XNA XBOX and Windows Phone 7 targets, keyboard support is currently unavailable."

so aside from that fact that I want my keyboard to match my game, that there is a good reason for having one.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
Your version does really suits your game :)

Feedback. The native keyboards pop up a tab with character you press.
When you press a key on a soft keyboard, the user needs feedback for example the pressed key is scaled upwards for a split second or two, or a little popup window is displayed above the key.

Go to 1:30.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#8]
Ah I will need to do that. some sort of little hover, or highlight or summit.