New Jungle Ide feature I'm developing

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/New Jungle Ide feature I'm developing

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I thing this would be of interest to any Jungle Ide + Monkey user, so, just in case...

http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=33/jungle-ide-group4/general-discussion-forum5/automatic-module-updates-notification-thread248

I'll use it on the fontmachine module but the idea is that is can be useful to any module developer and user.

siread(Posted 2012) [#2]
Nice one, ziggy. I might try to make a module out of my gui system in the future so this will come in handy. :)

DrT(Posted 2012) [#3]
Nice feature. Keep up the good work.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying your product.

bruZard(Posted 2012) [#4]
cool thingy!

but ... what about a template system? I think on a button or menu entry that gives me a barbone mojo template.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#5]
Interesting, but is there any chance of getting a priority list of the things you are intending to implement?

There are a load of core IDE functionality requests that have been sitting around for a long time, several of them with responses that said "coming soon" or even "next update" and they haven't happened. This and the plugin system you talked about previously seem to be slipping away from dealing with those more prosaic IDE features.

MonkeyPig(Posted 2012) [#6]
I'm with muddy_shoes - I'd still like to have some simple features like...

When I jump to a definition I want to jump back (through a stack of previous locations).

It would be useful to have Pre-build step. Maybe just me - but dealing with Android Res. stuff is a major PITA.

The last update which feature the background compiling I found almost completely useless.

All that said - Jungle IDE is a great tool and makes all my monkeying around pleasant.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
To be honest, this is an improvement I was designing for FontMachine, but I've decided to make it in a way that any other modue user/developer can take profit of it. That's whay it my look unrelated to the regular feature requests list. I'm mainly focusing regular updates into stability, so I'm reluctant to add any of the features that should require a bit more of beta testing until I get a decent beta-testing team. But, if this does not happen, I'll beta test everything myself with the small team that gently has opted to help, but this will be updates of this kind will take longer to appear in an official update.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#8]
The problem with formally becoming part of a team of beta-testers is that those of us who use Jungle the most are least likely to be willing to threaten our time. If you just put beta versions up for download (that would install separately and not overwrite the stable version) then I might try it if I was interested in the feature but I wouldn't feel honest promising to put time and effort into being on a "team".

Many of the issues aren't even big new features. There are plenty of existing features that need work:

* Go to definition does not work consistently. Go to definition of a return type? No. Go to definition of the type of a variable? No.
* Auto-complete regularly gets entirely confused. Not only does it stop completing basic stuff like If End blocks but it also has a hair-pulling-ly annoying habit of "correcting" lower case variable names that it doesn't recognise into upper case Class names that it does.
* If you're cursoring around code that contains overloaded method calls your cursor regularly gets "trapped" in the parameter list while the completion hint box scrolls endlessly through the options.
* Fairly often when typing through a parameter hint list Jungle will decide to not really let you leave that list so that when you hit return at the end of the line the line gets split inside the brackets.

I could go on. When these sorts of things are everyday annoyances it's hard to raise enthusiasm for testing any big new features.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#9]
Auto-complete regularly gets entirely confused. Not only does it stop completing basic stuff like If End blocks but it also has a hair-pulling-ly annoying habit of "correcting" lower case variable names that it doesn't recognise into upper case Class names that it does.
I've never experienced this, and I don't think I've ever get a bug report about this, please, provide a sample or somethin I can replicate if you want anything sorted.
Fairly often when typing through a parameter hint list Jungle will decide to not really let you leave that list so that when you hit return at the end of the line the line gets split inside the brackets.
I don't understand this one. I'm not sure what you mean.

I could go on. When these sorts of things are everyday annoyances it's hard to raise enthusiasm for testing any big new features.
Yes please, go on! and it would be great if you do it in the jungleide forums. That's where I usually go see what's being requested to be fixed.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#10]
Fair enough, I'll respond there but there are already pages of feature requests on the forum.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#11]
Interesting, but is there any chance of getting a priority list of the things you are intending to implement?
There's not any list like this, but you can see what's being implemented in the changelog (there's sually a first entry tagged as "dev version" where any finished development is listed).
You can see it here: http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=612

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#12]
Ok, I'm mostly finished with the module automatic updating process. I think this can be very useful for module coders willing to make it easier for module users to have latest available version.

The explanation of how this works is a bit long, and I would love to know if it is understandable enough or not. This are the "instructions" for next Jungle Ide version, Do you think it is clear how to make a module that is able to inform on updates to its users?

Brief explanation:
http://www.jungleide.com/?p=678

Detailed how-to-do-it so you can provide automatic updating mechanism for your modules:
http://www.jungleide.com/?p=663

This feature will be also available to the free Jungle Lite users.