single surface ?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/single surface ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
for all my other projects all PC and Linux, I have always had all my sprites as single files, or anim strips, but working with monkey I read more and more than working on a single surface is a much better(needed ?) way of doing things.

I was wondering if Diddy does this.

Also, since this technique is something I have never done, can some one explain it to me in some detail.

I mean I get that you take all or most of your active game sprites, pack them onto a sprite sheet, but how do you store all their positions, ini file ?, how do you know what sprite is at 100,100 how do you id each sprite in the pack. and what's the monkey commands for taking a single image and then ripping out dozens of images.

ta.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
I've always used single images or snim strips and havent had an issue with Monkey.

I've been meaning to add an atlas loader into Diddy, but havent got around to it...

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#3]
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1155

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#4]
Bookmarked !!.

Thervills, Yeah I'm the same, when it comes to PC releases I like making my files as open as possible so the people playing can mod the hell outa it, I tend to only lock away or encrypt vital stuff like score tracking and such, but the images and sprites, and music I like to keep open.

Whats the most sprites you have used with monkey so far ? because people in other threads have been talking about how the more draw commands you use in a loop the slower your code gets, because of something to do with it using another image or memory block or summit I forget to be honest lol, maby some one can post and explain it better than me.

But Either way it got me a little worried cos I tend to use a lot of images in my games, lots of sprites, and was worried performance might suffer as a result on some of the mobile devices.

Samah(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yeah I'm the same, when it comes to PC releases I like making my files as open as possible so the people playing can mod the hell outa it,

You'd best look at MonkeyLua then... :)
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2216

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#6]
Whats the most sprites you have used with monkey so far ? because people in other threads have been talking about how the more draw commands you use in a loop the slower your code gets, because of something to do with it using another image or memory block or summit I forget to be honest lol, maby some one can post and explain it better than me.
I'm surprised that Samah didn't point you to this. Post 4 onwards.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#7]
Whats the most sprites you have used with monkey so far ?

Well for Pirate Solitaire I loaded in 52 standard cards on an anim strip, 30 other images as single images, and a few things here and there...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#8]

Whats the most sprites you have used with monkey so far ?

Big Bugs TD: about 100-120 sprites, 3-4 texture atlases, at 24 fps on Galaxy Tab 1ghz

in minib3d tests, over 1000 sprites on desktop at 10fps, but on android 200 sprites gets 3fps.