Post to facebook walls from your application

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Post to facebook walls from your application

Fryman(Posted 2012) [#1]
Edit: I made some changes to the code, the popup problem in my post below is fixed in this version and a popup should be generated
regardless of sitting in an iframe I also added the ability to change the caption.

This is a copy of the code I wrote in my alphaburn game.
I am a beginner so criticize at will hopefully encourage some improvements because this is Ugly

Anyway you can import it into your applications and then use the 2 methods to post to peoples facebook walls.
It requires you to register your app on facebook in order to work how I intended.

It requires a small initial setup in OnCreate and also the fabulous Diddy module

put this in your main class

Class Game extends DiddyApp
Field Facebook:FacebookObject

Method OnCreate()
Facebook = New FacebookObject
Facebook.SetupApp([FBAppID],[AppName],[LogoImageURL],[AppURL])
End

To post a message use
(using fields from code above)

Facebook.WallPost([Caption],[Message],[PopupT/F])

This is the full module code

Import diddy

Class FacebookObject
Field varAppID:String = ""
Field varAppRedir:String = ""
Field varAppLogo:String = ""
Field varAppName:String = ""
Field varAppURL:String = ""

Method WallPost(Caption:String,Message:String,Popup:Bool)

If varAppID <> "" Then 
Local lvarDisplayType:String

If Popup = True Then lvarDisplayType="popup" Else lvarDisplayType = "page"
	LaunchBrowser("https://www.facebook.com/dialog/feed?app_id="+varAppID+"&link="+varAppURL+"&picture="+varAppLogo+"&name="+ varAppName + "&caption="+Caption+"&description="+Message+"&redirect_uri="+ varAppURL+"&display="+lvarDisplayType,Popup)
Else
	Error("FACEBOOK MODULE ERROR: Cannot send message, the fb application settings are incorrect")
EndIf
End Method

Method SetUpApp:int(AppID:String,AppName:String,AppLogoURL:String,AppURL:String)

'Sanatise inputs and display errors

'Sanitise AppID
If AppID.Length > 30 Then 
	Error("FACEBOOK MODULE WARNING: AppID is incorrect")
	Return 0
Else
	varAppID = AppID
EndIf

'Sanitise AppName
If AppName.Length > 60 Then
	Error("FACEBOOK MODULE WARNING: App name is too long")
	Return 0
Else
	varAppName = AppName
EndIf

if AppLogoURL.Contains(".gif") = True or AppLogoURL.Contains(".png") = True or AppLogoURL.Contains(".jpg") = True or AppLogoURL.Contains(".jpeg") Then
	varAppLogo=AppLogoURL 
Else
	Error("FACEBOOK MODULE WARNING: The app logo must be a link to gif/jpg/png stored on the internet, all in lower case, it cannot be an image embedded in the app")
	Return 0
EndIf

if AppURL.Contains("http://") = True Then
	varAppURL = AppURL
Else
	Error("FACEBOOK MODULE WARNING: The App url needs to be a web address, it also needs to be registered to your app on the facebook developers site")
	Return 0
EndIf

Return 1

End Method 
End

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#2]
not tested this yet but that is very cool and something I will use, facebook has become such a big part of the gaming world these days, I think the total number of users it has is insane.

perfect place to pimp your game by allowing your players to facebook it.

Aman(Posted 2012) [#3]
This is cool since it is based on Diddy's LaunchBrowser only. But what will happen if the device is not connected to the internet?

You gave me a really great idea for a feature I need to add to my app. Thanks.

Fryman(Posted 2012) [#4]
I would imagine you will recieve the default browser "cannot find page" response. Ive only used this on flash / html5 so a connection was expected..

Edit: The problem below is fixed in the updated code above

Another point is if the game is embedded in an Iframe using popups might not work, so unless its the end of your game and the current state does not matter it probably wants saving before calling the wallpost method...

This is doable with SaveState and LoadState for simple games.

This is only an issue for the HTML5/Flash Targets just incase they get redirected off the current page and only if your calling halfway through a game.