The Monkey IDE

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/The Monkey IDE

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is there any chance of the Monkey IDE getting updates ? or a community version like the MAX IDE?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#2]
Check out Jungle IDE.

OvineByDesign(Posted 2012) [#3]
Id second Jungle IDE, cant live without it now

Stu

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thirded! :)

Heres the link to the lite version of Jungle:

http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=375

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
This is more than being just about how crap the monk is.

For Example when I got my hands on the Max Community IDE, I hacked the code so that my projects automatically create a backup folder, and every time I build the code it takes my source and saves it to the back up folder with an incremental version number.

So I can open that backup folder for any of my projects and see every single version of my code from start to finish, I dont like SVN so this little hack is perfect for me.

Cant do things like that with Jungle because its not open source.

As for Jungle itself, I know its a good idea, and I had planned to get it, but car tax and other life stuff almost forced me to not get monkey, so any extra money I had which I could have used for the ide is now gone, so Jungle is not an option.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#6]
@Taiphoz: I know it's not what you're asking here, but do you realise the [BlitzMax] source to Monk is in the Monkey/src/monk folder? Just pointing it out so you can hack in your backup system if you want to.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#7]
I knew that the monk ide was reworked max ide but I had no idea the source for it was sitting in the Monkey folder and yeah I now fully plan to hack my code into it , thanks for that m8.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#8]
Oh are we allowed to mess with it tho ? is it indeed open source?

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yeah, see Monkey\src\README.TXT for the license covering that folder -- it's all PD. Besides, it wouldn't really matter if you're just hacking it for your own purposes. If you want to be doubly/triply sure prior to releasing anything publicly, drop its author skid an email.

skid(Posted 2012) [#10]

For Example when I got my hands on the Max Community IDE, I hacked the code so that my projects automatically create a backup folder, and every time I build the code it takes my source and saves it to the back up folder with an incremental version number.

So I can open that backup folder for any of my projects and see every single version of my code from start to finish, I dont like SVN so this little hack is perfect for me.

The History node in Monk lists it's incremental backups, it should be enabled in options.

Monk is missing features:

* auto refresh folder nodes if changed in background
* search box for docs

Other requests include:

* Backspace key to go Back in help broken in win32
* Escape key in help to return to code

Highlighting of Mojo commands should be in next release.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#11]
@skid
Please! Please! please!......fix the undo/redo.

The keep focus when using the sliders also.

using the mac, I really depend on this Ide.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#12]
Thats all good news, are you actively developing it skid ? or is it something you just do every now and then, I think my version is 36 still is there a download for the ide alone or is it only bundled with monkey .

skid(Posted 2012) [#13]
BRL distribute the latest monk source with monkey.

Development is erratic, but my personal usage remains high. I am proud it is called shit as in shit simple.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#14]
I find monk to be one of the cleanest and easiest to use IDE's ever. I come from Eclipse, so....

Are there any tutorials on how to use it with version control?

impixi(Posted 2012) [#15]
I am proud it is called shit as in shit simple.

I've 'said' it before and I'll say it again: Complex, heavy duty IDEs aren't for everyone. I use Monk for Monkey and Notepad++ for everything else (coding-wise). Doesn't hinder my productivity at all.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#16]
I'm with impixi, when people reffer to it as shit skid I do not think their talking about all of it, just mainly how annoying the debugging can get with it.

To be honest there is only a hand full of things I would like from it that it does not currently do as far as I am aware.

I would like the syntax highlighting to catch the stuff we code, types or class's and methods and functions should get a color separate from the reserved word color user defined.

the other thing being the debugger, when the code fails on a line I often find the line is just off the top of the screen and I need to scroll up to read it, would be nice if it was in the middle of the screen and flagged with a red dot at the left side or something.

As I said I like the ide, just needs a little tweak here or there.

I wont mention the debugger thats what really gripes me, but I dont think thats got anything to do with monk does it ?

matty(Posted 2012) [#17]
Being used to coding apps at work in Notepad I don't mind the Monk IDE, the only thing that is frustrating is pressing CTRL-LEFT or CTRL-RIGHT to skip words as in any other editor is that it skips to the next/prev tab instead.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#18]
For simple test apps I use Monk, but for more complex (multiple classes etc) I use JungleIDE - autocomplete and intellisense makes coding so much better and faster for me!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#19]

the only thing that is frustrating is pressing CTRL-LEFT or CTRL-RIGHT to skip words as in any other editor is that it skips to the next/prev tab instead

Hey, Matty, have you been to File menu -> IDE Options -> Use OS-Specific Shortcut Keys?

I'm with you in that this drives me ----ING CRAZY*, but checking it and restarting works for me!

[* EDITING CRAZY]

matty(Posted 2012) [#20]
Hey it worked! Thanks DruggedBunny - I never knew it could do that....yay.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
Skid is there any process available for us to submit code changes to you for inclusion in the next patch ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#22]
oh and any idea when your next verion will be ready for our consumption ?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#23]
I use Monk all the time, almost exclusively.

The biggest thing missing for me in Monk are line numbers. It's so much easier to debug when line numbers are in the left margin.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#24]
I agree with @AdamRedwoods about Line Numbers quite a bit.

Also, one of the things I loved about Eclipse was the ability to put in a special comment like "// TODO:" and then there would be a blue marker where that note was next to the scroll bar. I could mark where I was working, jump to somewhere else in the code that was related, then jump right back.

Qcat(Posted 2012) [#25]
i have got used to monk. i actually like it now for its lightness and fast loading. i like the sound of line numbers and highlighting of mojo commands.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#26]
I wonder how easy line numbers would be to add.....

/walks off to look at the code.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#27]
Been looking at the code, and been thinking about how to go about this, one of the first things is that the text area has a Margin, so my first thought is to increase this margin which will give us space on the left.

I'm then just thinking drop in another text area inside that margin that you cant edit, and populate it with line numbers, then link the main code text area's scroll back to the line numbers scroll bar position so if you scroll the line numbers move as well.

To fill the number numbers I am thinking just write a function to count or track the number of lines in the main text area and then render out that number of line numbers.

Any opinions on this ?