Diddy gui: mobile issues

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Diddy gui: mobile issues

frank(Posted 2012) [#1]
Maybe i'm expecting too much, but it seems the GUI stuff in Diddy doesn't work very well on Android and on iPhone in HTML5 mode (I'm trying to compile a native app now); is that expected behavior and will that be fixed (can it be fixed?)?

For instance; text input is impossible (no keyboard appears), clicking on buttons makes the entire canvas flicker, but not the buttons on Android, on iPhone when you click for instance on Button3, button1 lights up etc. You cannot drag windows on Android and sliders don't work on either.

Is the native build better in that regard?

therevills(Posted 2012) [#2]
If I have understood you correctly, you are using the GUI module and compiled a HTML5 app, which you are running on the browsers of mobile devices... the browsers of these devices are very very slow.

A native build is always going to be better.

frank(Posted 2012) [#3]
Agreed, however, the functionality should be working right? The fact that things simply don't work in HTML5 version is not correct or is it? Despite the slowness (which is probably the source of the flickering I see), most things in the app don't work / behave extremely weird.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yeah it should work fine... does it work fine in a desktop browser (eg Chrome)? If it does then its the good ol' browser wars again :/

frank(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yeah it works excellent in desktop Chrome, it works 'a bit' on iOS Safari and it almost doesn't work on Android (Chrome?).

Samah(Posted 2012) [#6]
and it almost doesn't work on Android (Chrome?).

Try Dolphin Browser HD. Obviously you can't assume the user is using a 3rd party browser, but it'd still be an interesting test.

The default Android browser uses the WebKit rendering engine, which is used in Chrome and Safari. I'm not sure if Dolphin just uses a WebView component (which uses WebKit) or whether it has its own implementation.