Monkey Modules Fund

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Monkey Modules Fund

Alex(Posted 2011) [#1]
Monkey is ideal choice for todays actual trends and platforms.
There are a lot of iOS-Android-PC-MAC engines but none of them support web platforms(Flash and HTML5). Of course some HTML5-based engines will support all platfroms, but perfomance will never be the same as native applications. (like Spaceport, Phonegap etc)

I think Monkey need some marketing effort to became more widely known. For example gamedev or programing competitions, better website with codebase and tutorials etc.

Most of current great hit games are very simple in terms of tech. Look at Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Doodle Jump, Tiny Wings, Flight Control, Doodle God, Fruit Ninja and other iOS bestsellers. Is there any game among them that can't be written in Monkey? I don't think so.
It is pure gamedesign challenge, not tech challenge.

Personaly I think this features would be nice to have in future Monkey updates, to become "feature complete" for any kind of 2D crossplatform game:
- Native and fast GetPixel(X,Y)and SetPixel(X,Y, Color) support on all platforms.

- Ability to run any function or method in separate thread.

- Draw to texture/buffer

- Good async library for internet communications. PUT/Get, download file, socets etc.

- Something like DistortionMesh in HGE. http://hge.relishgames.com/doc/index.html?hgedistort__main.html
Something like this:
MyImage.SetImageMeshCoords(ImageX,ImageY, X#, Y#, Z#)
MyImage.GetImageMeshX#(ImageX,ImageY)
MyImage.GetImageMeshY#(ImageX,ImageY)
MyImage.GetImageMeshZ#(ImageX,ImageY)

But I think it is already possible to develop such modules for all supported platforms.

So I came up with idea: let's create Monkey Modules Fund and send money to first programmer who will create open source public domain module that is requested by people who contribute money to this fund.
Something like freelance work, but in our case all modules will be available to everyone. Money will be paid by those who need this modules. Experienced programmers will be able to earn some money.

Alex(Posted 2011) [#2]
So let's start from me, to see how it will work:)
Module description: I need module for fast and tested Color=GetPixel(X,Y)and SetPixel(X,Y, Color) support on all Monkey platforms.
Contribution to this module's fund: $100 via Paypal.

If someone needs this module too or think that it would be good to have it in future, feel free to add any amount of money.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#3]
Humm I think it would be better to know where's mojo going on before assuming we need a "fund machine".
Monkey is still pretty young compared to let's say BlitzMax or C/C++ and Mark is still improving it.

The idea is not bad, but if I do understand the project correctly, you have already pay for a multi-platform Mojo module.
I would really appreciate to have a few words on what to expect with Mojo in the futur !

BlitzMax is fantastic but it would have been a blast if most of the third party modules I have collected (like libxml, odd.mod, etc.) and created (like advanced graphic functions) over years were officially available. Not that much is missing right now in BlitzMax but I fear something different with Monkey.

The feeling that "all modules have to run over every platforms" is making thing harder to manage.
I assume it is quite hard to achieve complex modules that run exactly the same over PC/MacOs/Linux/iOS/Android/XNA/Java/Javascript/Flash/...

I didn't practice monkey yet since I'm way too much into BlitzMax right now, but I support Monkey because I think it's a great language evolution. I just don't know yet were it's going to. Personally I would really enjoy seeing all my preferred BlitzMax modules supported and updated to Monkey even if at first it's only for GLFW.

It's maybe a stupid idea but wouldn't be possible to create something that would facilitates the process of converting existing external libraries in order to extend Monkey more easily ? A kind of "Module facilitator". After all the "trans" functionality of Monkey is probably way more harder to develop.

For that degree of freedom I would gladly put a few more bucks ! But I think I have more chance to learn the library language and create monkey modules myself...
Consider this as my only entry to a "wish list". It's not that I don't want to do it, it's just that I don't know yet how to do it.