Interest in a Targets Configuring Mac/Windows App?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Interest in a Targets Configuring Mac/Windows App?

Amon(Posted 2011) [#1]
I've seen people mention the want for an easier way to edit what is needed to be edited in the Targets folder so decided to start a cross-platform Windows/Mac app that autmagically takes care of these things for you while only needing input to select essential things like the Game Name or BackGround Colour etc.

I decided to call it MonKonfig. It will export an edited version, according to settings you select in drop down list boxes and the settings grid for each platform.

There will be a charge for the app but should be no more than 5-10 USD! That's if anybody is interested in it and whether people would prefer something else that may be Mark will sort out!

1) So what interest would there be in this project of mine, it's nearly finished?

2) What would people be willing to pay for it?

3) If people are not willing to pay would they be tempted if I started implementing a version with profiles, saving/loading them etc; basically a Basic free version and a Pro version?

I am not saying question 3 would be a definite, just trying to gage peoples thoughts.

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#2]
looks useful, I would buy it if I used android or ios for 5 bucks
maybe a free version would increase sales

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#3]
I would probably pay $5 if it fits a need that Mark isn't addressing any time soon.

Volker(Posted 2011) [#4]
Make a free version and a Pro.
If the people see how much work this can save
they will pay for it.
I wanted to start something like this, called MonkeyInjector,
but got stuck in something else.
From my list:
- change name
- Set icons
- Set resolution
- signing with key for android / prepare for market
- openfeint preparation
- set permissions for android.
- backup of changed files

Are you using Blitzmax?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hey Amon... this is a good idea.

Just be aware that Mark is thinking about adding a config file which sounds similar to this:

http://marksibly.blogspot.com/2011/10/surprise.html
Better control over app data - in particular, what data is used on what targets, and how. Currently, any data considered usable by a target is added to the target project based purely on file extension. But this can mean some data ends up getting duplicated in some situaitons, esp. when you are required to provide the same data in multiple formats to handle target limitations. The current plan here is for some kind of config/control file in the data dir.

Of course you could link you GUI up to this config/control file.

Dabz(Posted 2011) [#6]
Nice idea, thought about something similar myself, but, to be honest, the tools themselves should be implementing all that malarky automagically!

Dabz

Amon(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I guess it would be best to wait to see what Mark comes up with as whatever tool/update Mark releases will certainly be better than me hacking away at things.

Hope there is no objection?

I'm pretty sure though by the looks of how Monkey is progressing that the necessary needed additions to make the ease of use of Monkey improve will be added and will be good.