Do we have support for multi layouts in Monkey yet

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Do we have support for multi layouts in Monkey yet

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

Do we have solution for support for multilayouts for android ?
Guess its quite easy to do it by proper virtual resolution setup and stuff like this in the code ..... but still monkey takes all the resources from DATA folder and there is no way how to change it. So basically its quite irritating to prepare 3-5 sets of graphics and compile it one by one by renaming folders and moving files.

Regards
Tom

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
still monkey takes all the resources from DATA folder and there is no way how to change it

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1020#8812

skid(Posted 2011) [#3]
Wouldn't it be even more irritating to then manage 3-5 separate versions of your game? I don't see why you wouldn't put all versions in a single app and use the display width and height at runtime to decide which versions to load.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#4]
but then app takes at least three times more space, i mean all data is pushed into application regardless if i will load it or not

and most of all i need to have something like this done with folders

data/320
data/480
data/640

this would require to add new preprocessor variable to be used with this hack

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#5]
Yeah it would be great to have some built in ability to specify data per target...

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#6]
Having all resolutions in one package is a waste of space. Does this problem is really so unimportant that nobody cares ? I mean downloading app which takes 1MB or 10MB is a difference from user / device point of view.

What is Your opinion.

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#7]
App size does definetly matter. And this would be a very useful thing, especially since resolutions are so different!

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#8]
Having all resolutions in one package is a waste of space.
Never the less it's exactly what Google say you should do. There are different sizes of screens resolution/density within single platforms.

Does this problem is really so unimportant that nobody cares ?
No. The problem is so insignificant that nobody wants to fix it themselves. Using a proper build tool (like Maven or Ant) us trivial at best. Look, here is how you set up Ant (which is a prerequisite to using at least the Android target) to copy a bunch of files from one place to another:
<copy todir="dest_dir">
	<fileset dir="src_dir" />
</copy>

Here is how you do it in Maven: Put it in your resources directory.

It's not exactly rocket science. Also Ant has only been around for 11 years, it's not like you haven't had time to learn how to use it. If you want to develop for a modern platform, eventually you're going to have to start using modern tools. Or be frustrated. The choice is yours.

I mean downloading app which takes 1MB or 10MB is a difference from user / device point of view.
Sure. But are there any of your targets that won't need all the graphics included anyway? I mean are you intentionally not going to support iPad's or Android Tablets because people with phones will need to get a 10MB file (which is still half the size of Angry Birds BTW)?

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#9]
And this would be a very useful thing, especially since resolutions are so different!
Really? How? For instance iOS targets start in the low end with 320x480 and move all the way up to 1024x768, while Android devices go all the way up to 1080p. Flash and HTML5 generally start slightly smaller than where iOS leaves off, but goes toe to toe with high-end Android devices and beyond! Unless you're very narrowly writing your game for a very specific device, like say iPhone 4 only, or Xperia Play only, or Xbox 360 only, then I don't really see the benefit of artificially reducing the number of available targets.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#10]
thanks, i think that completely answers my question