Class properties?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Class properties?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello,

I noticed that "Property" was a reserved keyword in Monkey (though in the documentation, it is spelled "Propery" in the reserved keywords list). Is there good documentation out there on how to utilize class property syntax in Monkey?

What's weird to me is that a lot of the built-in containers seem to use getters and setters, whereas certain other features seem to exhibit the properties of... well, a class property. I'm curious about this, because there are times when it is a lot more convenient syntactically to access a method as a property, with different behaviors for getting and setting. There appears to be some use of the keyword sprinkled about various modules, but I'm not sure they work the same way as in the language I'm used to.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify any of this :)

Edit: For reference, here's how VB.NET handles class properties. (Most properties are read/write, but the example below shows both kinds)

Public Class Line
    Private mstrLine As String

Property Line() As String
        Get
           Return mstrLine
        End Get
        Set(ByVal Value As String)
            mstrLine = Value
        End Set
    End Property

ReadOnly Property Length() As Integer
       Get
           Return mstrLine.Length
       End Get
    End Property
End Class

Samah(Posted 2011) [#2]
Class Foo
Private
  Field bar:String

Public
  Method Bar:String() Property
    Return bar
  End

Method Bar:Void(bar:String) Property
    Self.bar = bar
  End
End

Function Main:Int()
  Local f:Foo = New Foo
  f.Bar = "Hello World!"
  Print f.Bar
  Return 0
End

I generally define properties with the same name as their corresponding private field, but with a capital letter. Omit either method to make it read-only or write-only.