Could Mark do it? AirplaySDK ( Marmalade ) can!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Could Mark do it? AirplaySDK ( Marmalade ) can!

Amon(Posted 2011) [#1]
I notice AirplaySDK, now called Marmalade, is able to compile for iphone via windows. It has been able to do this for a while and upon researching why they are able to do this without the hammer that is Apple's Law firm hitting them hard has escaped me due to super, overly complex; for my brain anyway, legal documents and speak.

From what I gathered though since Adobe's change of direction 'Buckling to the will of Apple regarding Flash' it has given the marmalade guys a clear process legally with no mumbo jumbo legal speak to continue what they are doing i.e. compiling for iphone, working apps that can be tested first in the simulator and with an Apple yearly membership tested on the iphone, all from within windows.

So if they can do this, Mark, can you not follow in their footsteps?

I apologise if there is anything I am blatantly missing regarding Marmalade and the windows iphone testing and deploying.

http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/

Chaduke(Posted 2011) [#2]
Unreal Engine for iOS will only compile on Windows. Makes me wonder if Apple is not only easing up on restrictions but actually supporting this on some level.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#3]
airplay or now marmalade is really nice, but some things to mention:

- for 3d models you need to own a copy of 3dsmax or Maya which is very expensive for most people
- you should own a copy of visual studio (which is not cheap for most simple hobby programmers)

So the best solution for hobby programmers is definately monkey

Amon(Posted 2011) [#4]
xzess you are wrong to say you need 3DSMax or Maya to use marmalade. All you need is a modelling app capable of exporting to the collada format.

The other point where you are wrong is Visual Studio is expensive, the higher up you go i.e. Standard, Pro, Ultimate, Ultimate Team System etc. But you need none of those as Visual Studio is free, well the express versions are and they are all you'll need to work with marmalade. :)

Google 'Visual Studio Express' and go download the express editions which Microsoft freely give away on their site.

:)