Translating from Blitzmax to Monkey (IDE problem)

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Translating from Blitzmax to Monkey (IDE problem)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello.

I'm planning on starting with iOS development but I simply cannot take to Monk as my IDE. I've used BLIde for Blitzmax for years, and I have Jungle for Monkey which is Win-only.

I've had a look at jEdit which is an improvement on Monk but I'd much prefer to use Jungle. Except I can't.

I don't want to struggle using an unfamiliar IDE to do the conversion so I got to wondering - would it be feasible to do most of the work in Windows with an HTML5 (or whatever) target, then use Monk/Mac simply to iron out the wrinkles and make sure everything works in the iOS emulator?

Is that even possible? Are there vast differences between the HTML5 and iOS targets that would stop the code from running? Would doing this leave a significant amount of work to do on the Mac side? What about screen resolutions?

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#2]
It depends on what game and what "extra" stuff youare gonna add outside of mojo. IE game center etc! I have been developin in your described setup for a year now and it's definitely viable.

My solution to make it more suitable was to get both systems running at same time. Main development pc with jungle and a mac mini for the iOS bits. I got Em networked with a nas to share files and a decent KVM for sharing one of dual monitors so can have the pc and Mac side by side if need be! There is even a mouse app you can get to share the cursor over wifi between ma and pc.

Aside from hardware issue I think the only pitfall is building in some bits to your code for simulating features the pc doesn't support. Eg multitouch, tilt, etc. Anything else from my experience works! Of course you would have to make sure you setup the same resolution, refresh rate, etc...