delta timing used for sequencer

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/delta timing used for sequencer

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi team,

I wanted to create simple timer engine based on delta timer sample and other sources on the web to play simple sound files periodicly like in sequencer.

I found even using delta timing example in monkey examples sound is never played at constant intervals. When same timer is used to move item or draw bitmap its working just fine. I tested it on flash and android targets.

I was wondering if this is my setup fault or its rather a general problem with monkey playing sounds.

Or how create simple effect to play sound click every 150 ms exacly. Human ear will detect changes above 5 ms.

matt(Posted 2011) [#2]
Have you tried using MilliSecs()?

Or the Diddy framework, which has a RealMillisecs() function.

I guess that a sound takes a short while to buffer and play, which complicates things.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#3]
i am using DeltaTimer from Diddy framework

the worst thing is that delay after playing sound seems to be random

matt(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeah, I'm not sure monkeys sound system is written with this in mind,

Have you considered playing then immediately pausing a sound? Is playback instant from unpausing the sound?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
@Bladmum, maybe use dt.frametime instead of dt.delta?

@Matt - I wouldnt really use RealMillisecs() for anything but a random seed, due to the limitations of it (some targets it will only update every second and in others like Java it is a float and really needed to be a double, which Monkey doesnt support).

matt(Posted 2011) [#6]
Good to know

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#7]
I use dt.delta instead of 1 to increment loop counter

refresh rate = 60Hz
rounds per minute = 240
rounds per seconds = 4
cycle period = 15 ticks

ive check it on another mobile device with android with same result as other targets = sound delay looks a bit random

now i will try this play and pause stuff

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#8]
i did not mentioned this is sequencer so i need to play different sounds not just one. so play and pause is not applicable here

Import mojo

Function Main:Int()
	New MyApp
	Return 0
End Function

Class MyApp Extends App

Field sss:Sound = null
	Field aaa:Float = 0
	Field nnn = 0
	Field dt:DeltaTimer	 

Method OnCreate:Int()

sss = LoadSound("click.mp3")
		SetUpdateRate 60
		dt = New DeltaTimer(60)

Return 0
	End

Method OnUpdate:Int()

dt.UpdateDelta()

aaa = aaa + dt.delta 
		if(aaa >= 10.0)
			aaa = aaa - 10.0	
          		nnn = nnn + 1
			StopChannel(nnn Mod 30)
			PlaySound(sss, nnn Mod 30)		
		End
		Return 0
	End 

Method OnRender:Int()

Return 0
	End

End

Class DeltaTimer

Field targetfps:Float = 60
	Field currentticks:Float
	Field lastticks:Float
	Field frametime:Float
	Field delta:Float

Method New (fps:Float)
		targetfps = fps
		lastticks = Millisecs()
	End

Method UpdateDelta:Void ()
		currentticks = Millisecs
		frametime = currentticks - lastticks
		delta = frametime / (1000.0 / targetfps)
		lastticks = currentticks
	End

End

matt(Posted 2011) [#9]
Do you need more than the 32 channels Monkey provides? If not, can you play each sound on it's own channel?

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#10]
i am doing this exactly as You mentioned, for the test i just change channel every time in a loop

same effect on all targets including two android phones

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#11]
can somebody test my sample code ? i still cannot make it working on my terminal without random delay (or just my sense of hear is so good...)
thanks

matt(Posted 2011) [#12]
can you post your sound file? thanks

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#13]
this is not related to sound file, please use sample sounds from windows. As I mentioned it is working same on flash / GLWF or android target that is suprising me the most.

matt(Posted 2011) [#14]
What if the sound file has a bunch of silence at the beginning? What if it's encoded in a way that causes monkey to do something strange in a way that my sound file might not exhibit. Also, I'm not running Windows.

So please post an example sound file so we can all work from the same files.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#15]
here it is a source sound
https://sites.google.com/site/cosalaeu2/Home/militaria-i-wojsko/click.wav

and output sounds recorded from phone (android):
https://sites.google.com/site/cosalaeu2/Home/militaria-i-wojsko/out.wav

of course mp3 and ogg version are the same

matt(Posted 2011) [#16]
For me, running HTML5 in Safari the sounds are exactly spaced, well as far as my ears go (I can hear the problems in your Android recording), but now and again one beat is missed entirely. There is also a period of time when the page loads where timing is very wrong, but it settles down to a steady beat quite quickly.

As a test, if I reduce the update rate to 2 (to beats per second) then Safari is rock steady and doesn't miss any beats. If I put it at 4, it is rock steady but misses some beats.

Chrome and Firefox are noticeably less accurate on my setup.

Perhaps the PlaySound code is tripping over itself if sounds are played more often than every 0.25 seconds? or perhaps the time resolution is not accurate enough. I would file this as a bug with Mark so at least he looks at it more closely. Maybe he can shed some light?

Here is the code I am running:

Also, just so you're aware, when I convert (no editing of the sound in any way) click.wav to click.mp3 I get the following periods of silence introduced at the beginning of the sound:

iTunes 10.4, 0.024 seconds
http://cl.ly/440B2X413A0k0k1L2B2I

SoundBooth CS4, 0.0275 seconds
http://cl.ly/310x3t320o0k200k2h2w

So I'd be interested in how you convert your mp3s to remove this phenomenon.

I also saw the same thing with m4a files, but ogg had no such silence introduced in my experience.

Bladko(Posted 2011) [#17]
hmmmm i didn't notice this silence part at the beginning but its true. I am using audacity with standard lame codec. Anyway i have same issue on ogg file on android when this mp3 bug does not exist.

Can we please move this issue into bug subforum ? something is wrong with playsound.

Thanks !