Lion

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Lion

UluruDatabase(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi All,
Okay, so I've paid for and downloaded Monkey. There were no installation instructions that I could see, so I just dumped the contents of the zip file into a folder in the developer folder and dragged the monkey.app to the dock.

When I click it, I get a menu bar at the top of the screen which contains one menu: Monk. This menu contains "Hide" and "Quit". Nothing else happens. If I try to quit the app, it locks up and I have to force quit it.

I'm using a new Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion. Please don't tell me this isn't compatible with Lion because the beta has been out there for months...

:(

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Its not currently compatible BUT a fix is on the way and the compatibility issue was identified when Lion was in Beta - why it wasn't fixed then, I don't know.

They already fixed MaxIDE (which is basically the same as Monk) so I don't imagine Monk will be too far behind. Mark is normally really quick with updates when things go badly wrong... failing that somebody posted on here earlier today (I think) a way to recompile the IDE to get it to work but I think it required Blitzmax. Maybe somebody will post an updated Monk app in the meantime.

I appreciate this doesn't help an awful lot.

UluruDatabase(Posted 2011) [#3]
Lol, well as long as an update is on it's way and arrives soon then that's fine. Obviously, what I don't want to hear is "oh, you've just spent 95 pounds on software that doesn't work. Tough luck" lol.

Can't understand why nobody else seems to have brought this up...

I'd love to know how 120 dollars translates into 95 pounds by the way - at the current exchange rate according to XE, I make it about 73 pounds :/

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#4]
It was brought up. Here: http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1227

On skimming the thread it seems that the build tools work fine so you can still use monkey, just not monk.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#5]
vat is added as well i think

GfK(Posted 2011) [#6]
Don't some of you use jEdit as your IDE? I don't do an awful lot of dev work on my Mac though so I don't know if that's free or not.

UluruDatabase(Posted 2011) [#7]
Can you just use any code editor or text editor then? I miss the days of a nice dark blue screen with yellow writing taking up the whole screen rather than bright whiteness burning my eyes out!

I assume the IDE has options for "compile" and "run" and "test" and things, yes? So how do you compile without the IDE?

These are probably obvious things - I haven't had too much time to look at the docs yet.

All my programming for iOS to date has been in NimbleKit using the Webkit. Mind you, it's quite impressive what you can do with HTML and JavaScript - Look for "Serendipity Chains" in the iPhone App Store (The iPad version is much better than the iPhone version due to the screen space)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#8]
Here's a guide to setting up JEdit with Monkey:

http://www.indiecodez.com/forum/index.php/topic,183.0.html

Granted, its a bit of a faff, but at least its a one-off thing. And although I haven't used it, JEdit looks much nicer than Monk.

UluruDatabase(Posted 2011) [#9]
Cool. I'll look at this when I get a chance. Thanks all :)

matt(Posted 2011) [#10]
Also check out my threads about using other Mac editors as your IDE

TextMate
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=69

Sublime Text 2
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=593

Samah(Posted 2011) [#11]
Gfk I used to use jEdit for Java, but only because it had an IRC client plugin (no, seriously!)

Roger Lockerbie(Posted 2011) [#12]
If you go to the other thread referenced above near the bottom I give you the steps to build a lion compatible monk.

You do need the new lion blitzmax and then need to grab the latest dev svn branch of maxgui to do it though

I'll email mark the lion monk binary and if he sees fit he can have it as a optional download on the account page ala the android and xna experimental bits

Roger

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#13]
Hi,

The Lion IDE is coming very soon!

I was hoping to release it today, but got caught up with some last minute issues involving the simulator. Fixed now, and I will give it all a good thrashing tomorrow.