Convert from Monkey to BlitzMax

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Convert from Monkey to BlitzMax

Raz(Posted 2011) [#1]
That's right, I went there! :D

BlitzMAX apps run really well on my laptop and from what I can tell from the couple of games I have released, they run well on just about everything these days.

I want to release the new version of Ninjah on PC but am finding XNA to be a right pain when distributing and GLFW doesn't run well on my laptop (which isn't great, so I use it as a field test as to what's possible). I am confident that if compiled using BlitzMAX, the game will run well on PC.

So I am wondering, how easy would it be to transcode from Monkey to BlitzMAX?

Thanks

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
I've been thinking about this too... it would be really cool.

The "hard" issues I guess would be generics, overloading and interfaces - the rest should be pretty straight forward.

skid(Posted 2011) [#3]
BlitzMax hosting of stdcpp monkey games should be pretty straight forward, will check.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#4]
sounds promising :)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Isnt stdcpp just console output?

Wiering(Posted 2011) [#6]
Mark should add a BlitzMax target!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#7]
Bmax target would be very appreciated.
I currently am thinking about writing my level editor in Bmax because it has MaxGui and is probably faster than glfw. The problem is with converting from monkey code you always have to update the editor if you change the engine.

Aman(Posted 2011) [#8]
I wish it would be that easy to convert from obj-c or java to monkey :P

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#9]
A blitzmax target would indeed be awesome! Currently writting an editor in blitzmax and the style of code is nearly the same just not as clean!

Raz(Posted 2011) [#10]
I obviously won't and can't speak for everyone but as BlitzMAX is not an original target, I'd be happy to pay a bit for this functionality.

If anyone else is able to do it, again I'd be happy to pay towards it.

Soap(Posted 2011) [#11]
+1 BlitzMax target. :)

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#12]
I agree, it would be both useful and valuable! However I'm not sure it is possible without changing Blitzmax?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'm not sure it is possible without changing Blitzmax

Why?

Tibit(Posted 2011) [#14]
Only Mark can answer, I was just thinking, because of the changes to Properties, Interfaces and Generics (and probably more), but maybe there are simple work-arounds?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#15]
because of the changes to Properties, Interfaces and Generics

A few of the current targets do not support these and Monkey "pretends" to use them.

A Monkey to BlitzMax would be very similar to Actionscript.

teremochek(Posted 2011) [#16]
A good idea is to translate Monkey to blitzMax and Blitz3D.
Then, some users will change BlitzMax on Monkey.
Especially the more Targets, the more interesting would be Monkey.

Monkey to blitzMax :+1