Which is easiest to do?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Which is easiest to do?

Hotshot(Posted 2011) [#1]
Android
Flash
GLFW
HTML5
iOS
XNA

I am doing it by learning them as hobbies :)

Volker(Posted 2011) [#2]
Flash.
HTML5.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Just answered this on indiecodez but I'll repeat it here; HTML5 is easiest because it works without installing any SDKs, extra hardware or emulators.

Make sure you get Chrome, though.

DGuy(Posted 2011) [#4]
I'd say HTML5: all you need is a compatible browser (ie. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari or IE9), which you may already have.

With all other options, you need to install/have installed other stuff in addition to Monkey itself.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well once you have set you Monkey for all the targets (and I guess you are talking about using Monkey and not coding these without it), they will all be the same to use and learn - since you would be just coding Monkey code.

Isnt that the whole point of Monkey after all?

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#6]
In theory it would be the same, but in practice I found XNA for Windows Phone 7 to be not very easy. Monkey does indeed create a program that works on Windows Phone 7, but then there are requirements (for the game to be accepted on the market) for how the program deals with interruptions from the phone and "thombstoning", and how it reacts to the "Back button" being pressed, that seem to be impossible to implement using just Monkey.

Targets like HTML5 and Flash don't have those extra requirements from companies for your game to be played by others! :)

I have to add I started with the XNA thing without any experience in that area (and, for that matter, only a little bit of experience in Monkey!), so perhaps someone who is already accustomed to XNA and publishing for Windows Phone 7 would also be better at using Monkey for this target.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
for how the program deals with interruptions from the phone and "thombstoning", and how it reacts to the "Back button" being pressed

I havent looked at the Windows Phone 7 stuff... Shouldnt Monkey deal with them for you? Maybe raise a bug...

Hotshot(Posted 2011) [#8]
Thanks everyone, I going do coding in HTML 5 and take it from there :)

JD0(Posted 2011) [#9]
GLFW.