When renaming a file on Jungle IDE problem

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/When renaming a file on Jungle IDE problem

hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#1]
When you rename A file on Jungle IDE Jungle IDE should rename
the Data Folder as well or other wise you get null object Access Error
on html compiling.

should be fixed..

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#2]
I disagree, you could be renaming the file to adapt it to the data folder name. To deal with this kind of things, you can press Ctrl+E when editing a source code file, and you'll go to the file folder in windows, so you can rename anything and deal with any files, etc.
I really don't think automating this is a good idea. Also, Jungle should diferenciate if the renamed file is the entry point of a program or not, etc. Maybe as an option, but not as a default behaviour.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
This sounds pretty dangerous in any case - if the developer renames the main monkey file the developer should rename the data folder at the same time.

hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#4]
its true if he does the rename outside of the editor therevills.
but when renaming from the editor the editor should handle all changes.
(my opinion ziggy)
to professional users its no problem understanding this error
to none it is..

XanthorXIII(Posted 2011) [#5]
I agree. If the IDE is taking the Instruction to rename the file, the folder needs to be renamed as well by it.
In case one file name is PongGame and the folder is PongGame.Data
The user instructs the IDE to change the file name to TennisGame then the IDE should automatically should change the folder to TennisGame.Data.

The argument that if the user is trying to change the file name to match the data folder is mute. It's going to sync up the two regardless.
For example, the main file is called TennisGame and the data folder is called PongGame.Data, if the user changes the file name to PongGame.Data the other folder will be renamed but to the same thing as before.

Jungle IDE is a good tool and I'm still looking into buying it, but no dis-respect, if I am going to buy a $100 IDE, I would expect it to do these kind of things for me.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#6]
but there's a long list of things to keep in mind, for starters, what if there are files opened in that folder, should I cancel the operation, so it just do it sometimes? Also, what if there's already a folder with the new name? Also, if it just an imported file, not the entry point where the data folder should match name, why should it do it?
I'm seriously considering it, but I'm not still sure it's a good idea to automate this. I'll give it a serious thought tho.

MonkeyPig(Posted 2011) [#7]
My $0.02 worth - the IDE should not let me edit folder/files. I already have a perfectly good interface for that in Windows Explorer.

If I want to use Jungle IDE to rename a file I can use SaveAs.

Changing files/folders will obviously mess up the Jungle Project contents but it's trivial to recreate/add the files in a project. If on load Jungle IDE does not find a file - it can either prompt to locate or load what it can and alert the user.

Having Jungle IDE attempt to manipulate files/folders based on internally just sounds like a big mess that is best avoided.

So... stop the user from being able to rename/delete files. It's pointless IMHO.

Time would be better spent on adding/fixing support of the stuff that makes Jungle unique.

XanthorXIII(Posted 2011) [#8]
If Visual Studio can do it why should Jungle IDE be any different?
The IDE is really a multi-box tool that should provide options to handle various projects and their needs. One of those being file/folder management and that includes file naming, folder naming, re-naming, deleting etc...
The tools for Software Development should march forward not backwards.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#9]
Jungle Ide allows you to do it the same way as Visual Studio. You can see the folder in the solution explorer and you can rename it as you wish.
We're dicussing here if there should be an automatic rename of the data folder whenever a monkey file changes its name. You can still do it from the solution explorer (as in VS) but it is not automated (now).

XanthorXIII(Posted 2011) [#10]
Ziggy - How about this, how about an Option in the IDE that is turned off by Default that says "Automatic Rename Datafolder when Main Source is changed"
That way half the folks that would like to see something like this implemented are happy and the ones that don't want it to mess with their folders until they do it are happy as well.