V43 now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/V43 now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

V43 is now up - all the gory details below!

Android mojo driver has received yet more tweaks, and there's a new 'os' module that contains some simple filesystem funcs - glfw and stdcpp only for now.

Modules:

Added os module - see docs.

Added DrawPoly( xy_verts#[] ).

Android mojo now requires GL1.1.

Implemented VBOs in android mojo.

Changed lang.java print 'log tag' to [Monkey] - ie: removed WS.

iOS mojo back to using imageNamed for image loading.

Trans (1.16):

Added 'uses feature gl1.1' to android manifest.

Added user edittable HICOLOR_TEXTURES global bool var to MonkeyGame.java for android target.

Another fix for issues with ++, -- in output code.

Fields cannot override existing field of same name.

Fixed +=, -= etc crash with properties.

New C#/Java string arrays now inited with empty strings, not nulls.

More fixes for c++ interfaces.

Unicode comments now allowed in Monkey source.

XNA target now handles Content.Load<T> exceptions and returns null.

Added ; statement separator - use to separate multiple statements on the same line.

DGuy(Posted 2011) [#2]
Very Cool!

Since Therevills teasing comments about changes to mojo Android, I've been chomping at the bit for this release!

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2011) [#3]
Very nice update. There's a module conflict, though, with mojo.app and os because of LoadString for GLFW output.

Using mojo.LoadString or os.LoadString can get around the confliction. I know the two functions differ, in that os loads files starting from the executable path and can pull from anywhere on the OS. While mojo loads from the data folder, but maybe the os functions can be renamed LoadFile and SaveFile?

MonkeyPig(Posted 2011) [#4]
New OS module is great - thank you. I'd implemented my own rough wrappers to do some of this in glfw for tool/editor development but it's great that there's now an official way.

It would be nice if there was a public roadmap (maybe there is somewhere in the forums) showing what we can expect in future revisions so as to minimize duplicate efforts (although sometimes you have no choice if you need it now).

Thanks again for the continual improvements.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#5]
Cool!

BTW for any one else thinking whats "Added user edittable HICOLOR_TEXTURES global bool var to MonkeyGame.java for android target.", it is a boolean in the MonkeyGame.java which is for displaying either 32 bit textures (true) or 16 bit textures (false).

Samah(Posted 2011) [#6]
Another fix for issues with ++, -- in output code.

Can you add those to Monkey? It's so tiresome typing +=1 and -=1 ;)

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#7]
Cool! JungleIde will be updated between today and tomorrow to support the new ";" into its parser :D

paulc(Posted 2011) [#8]
At the risk of sounding stupid... I purchased Monkey yesterday and the store gave me a link to download MonkeyPro29.zip, Is that v29? The demo version is v30 and this post seems to suggest that v49 is out?

Where is the download link?

The downloads page allows me to re-download the demo again and clicking on the paid link takes me to the store to purchase again.

Confused!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#9]
Hey Paulc - to get the latest version, click on the Account:paulc at the top of the page, this will take you into "User profile for paulc" you will then be able to see a link called "Product Updates", click that ;)

paulc(Posted 2011) [#10]
Many thanks :)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hurray! File write commands :)

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#12]
The Os module for stdcpp and glfw is soooo sexy :D

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#13]
OK, on Android my game increased big frame drop from 40 FPS to 20 FPS. Does it have something to do with this:

Added user edittable HICOLOR_TEXTURES global bool var to MonkeyGame.java for android target.

How do I change that thing?

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#14]
@anawiki: Look at post #5

Earok(Posted 2011) [#15]
"Using mojo.LoadString or os.LoadString can get around the confliction. I know the two functions differ, in that os loads files starting from the executable path and can pull from anywhere on the OS. While mojo loads from the data folder. Maybe the os functions can be renamed LoadFile and SaveFile? "

Seconded. Otherwise, very nice, cheers Mark.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#16]
Mark, are you able to give us a lil insight in to what you're up to now in Monkey?

g'waaaaaan!

Earok(Posted 2011) [#17]
Just a (silly) question - is it possible to have the 'Windows' style line endings with the save function? (So that files made with savestring look fine in Notepad?)

therevills(Posted 2011) [#18]
ewwww@Notepad!

Difference(Posted 2011) [#19]
Added DrawPoly( xy_verts#[] ).

YES!
[EDIT] : But missing from the docs it seems?

Julio(Posted 2011) [#20]
Cool improvement. I'll make some tests.
I don't see the time that I'll convert my Android game "StarShooter" for Monkey and it run in others plataforms. Very cool.

hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#21]
cool and great im glad to be a monkey

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#22]
Hey, nice update.

How exactly is the separator ; used?
If i try to use it like in BlitzMax it throws an error:
"Syntax error - unexpected token ';'"

With the following code:
Print( "This " + ;
"does not run" )

Zeke(Posted 2011) [#23]
Function Main()
	Print( "This "+
	"works")
	Print( "This is") ; Print("how ; is used")
End

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#24]
Works now. Thanks.

4mat(Posted 2011) [#25]
Incidentally, those wondering how DrawPoly works I think it's like this:

hardcoal(Posted 2011) [#26]
tnx for the incident