Is there a way to communicate between phones?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Is there a way to communicate between phones?

matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way to communicate between phones somehow, thinking of multiplayer gaming.

I have seen Xaron's mnet library but that seems to communicate with web pages via httpget but is there a way of communicating app to app?

Specifically I'm keen to find something for android first.

thanks,
Matt

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2011) [#2]
Pretty ironic if there isn't, really!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
How do current multiplayer phone games work?

My first thought would be to try to get Bluetooth working...

JIM(Posted 2011) [#4]
I'd say WiFi should be the first focus. Most games from bigger companies (Gameloft) don't even consider Bluetooth for multiplayer due to very unstable connections. Packet loss, highly fluctuating ping, etc.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#5]
I work on that as well. But this will take some time. First step was to do just some simple basic communication. Next step will be real communication using UDP/TCP via sockets.

Of course this won't work for all platforms but I want to make it work for Android, iPhone and GLFW (for test purposes).

matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
Thanks Xaron - the monkey/blitz community is so helpful, generous and friendly.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
D'oh!! Of course WiFi!!... I'm getting old, I forgot that these new fangled devices have WiFi too!

JD0(Posted 2011) [#8]
I am not sure exactly what support your are looking for, but you may want to take a look at OpenFeint's multiplayer capabilities.

matt(Posted 2011) [#9]
I'm pretty sure local iPhone multi-player through GameCenter uses Bluetooth

FlameDuck(Posted 2011) [#10]
For Android phones you can use the standard Java Socket API (Socket and ServerSocket classes respectively). You will need to create a wrapper for Monkey yourself.

matty(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks FlameDuck - good to know it can be done....at the moment however I think it may be beyond me to write a wrapper myself...but thanks for the info.