Android onTouch slow

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Android onTouch slow

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
Sorry to raise this one again, but I've been looking at the Libgdx framework and the Replica Island source code and I feel that this issue can be fixed to some degree.

http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

http://code.google.com/p/replicaisland/

Basically I think the "fix" is to use threading, both of these projects I think use threading to fix the issue.

When playing Replica Island using the onscreen keys I dont see much slow down. Also when I've created tests with Libgdx again I dont see the slow down I get with the Monkey code.

Could you please have another look at this issue. Thanks!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#2]
Just a couple of tests:

Using the "latest" mojo.android.java I get 50FPS and when I press the screen it drops to 30FPS - so a 20FPS drop.

Using Libgdx I get 60FPS and when I press the screen it drops to 50FPS, so a 10FPS drop.

The on-screen controls in Replica Island requires you to press and hold one finger to move left or right and another to perform an action - there is no noticeable slow down while doing this.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've added this to mojo.android.java:

final long time = System.currentTimeMillis();
	        if (event.getAction() == MotionEvent.ACTION_MOVE && time - mLastTouchTime < 32) {
		        // Sleep so that the main thread doesn't get flooded with UI events.
		        try {
		            Thread.sleep(32);
		        } catch (InterruptedException e) {
		            // No big deal if this sleep is interrupted.
		        }
		        app.waitDrawingComplete();
	        }
	        mLastTouchTime = time;

It doesnt help my issue, but it is meant to help users who are on less than Android 2.0...

Still researching...

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
I've just hacked the Replica Island code and added a FPS counter (the one which is in the game shows a 3 figure value!?!).

In the GameThread.java file, in the run() method I added the following between the if (timeDelta > 12) statement:
if ((SystemClock.uptimeMillis() - startTime) >= 1000) {
	totalFPS = fpsCount;
	fpsCount = 0;
	startTime = SystemClock.uptimeMillis();
} else {
	fpsCount += 1;
}
mGameRoot.sSystemRegistry.hudSystem.setFPS(totalFPS);

The game runs at 60FPS, but when I touch the screen it does drop to 50FPS - 10FPS drop, so the same as LibGdx.