Specify Modules Folder

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Specify Modules Folder

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#1]
Where can I specify another/other module(s) folder? I'd like to have one outside my Monkey install so that each time there's an update, I don't have to copy files around.

I could have Monkey files in C:\MonkeyProXXx and Monkey modules in, say, c:\monkey-mods. Maybe something like an ini file that can specify other module locations in addition to the default one inside C:\MonkeyProXXx?

Or is there a better way I haven't considered in updating MonkeyPro?

Hima(Posted 2011) [#2]
I think there is no way to work around that at the moment. But if someone has a way around this I'd love to know as well!

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#3]
Why do you have to copy files around? Do you have altered versions of the standard modules?

I agree with the request though and would extend it to being able to add multiple include directories.

Hima(Posted 2011) [#4]
In my case, the build_macos.txt needs to be copied everytime I update Monkey because I edit the path in there.

As for the module, I think he means developing your own modules. If you put it in Monkey's module folder, when there is a new version of Monkey released, we need to copy our module from the old Monkey folder to the new one.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#5]
The situation with config files being overwritten is a pain, I agree. It would be nice if it was changed so that there's are one or more separate user files that are loaded as overrides/additions to the basic config.

I don't find modules are an issue when updating as I just extract the zip into the same directory each time.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#6]
muddy, i don't like just copying to the same directory because that wouldn't remove obsolete files. For example, if 42c removes a file or two from 42b, and you just copy to the same folder, those removed files will remain.

Also, what Hima said... I have to move/copy diddy, fling, utoopia, etc., every time there's an update/upgrade. BOOoOOOoOo!

If only there was a way we could set up some kind of repository of files whereby we could pull changes to the file set down to our own computers. :D

Heck, if all this is open source, somebody can just set up a git hub, right? that is if mark won't do it.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
As far as the config files are concerned: I keep a seperate folder with copies of those, and after installing an update I just double-click a batch file that copies the old files back again into the folder.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#8]
The problem there is that several updates have introduced new config elements, such as the http server.