Request: Add WMA for XNA projects

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Request: Add WMA for XNA projects

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#1]
Mark,

Could I please request if you could add WMA to the list of sound formats in XNA. It is an accepted format and I've managed to formally test it (as below). As MP3s cannot properly loop (due to the 'gap') it would be a great addition.

For anyone who would like to make the changes to include this:

src\trans\target.monkey to update the following in 'CreateDataDir':
			'audio file formats
			Case "wav","ogg","aac","m4a","mp4","aif","caf","mp3","wma"

src\trans\targets\xna.monkey to include the following in 'MakeTarget':
					Case "wma"
						ps+="      <Importer>WmaImporter</Importer>~n"
						ps+="      <Processor>SoundEffectProcessor</Processor>~n"					

Raz(Posted 2011) [#2]
I will have to give this a try at the weekend, because getting things to loop even directly though XNA / Visual Studio is a pain!

I had no idea the mp3 loop thing was universal.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#3]

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#4]
Spent hours last night trying to find something to remove the 'gap'. So I checked out the available formats - obviously a lot smaller then wav and no gaps either.

Works just fine on my xbox. Haven't tried the phone as yet.

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#5]
Don't like bumping but getting lost in the list...

Raz(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hiya Dopey, I gave this a go at the weekend (having converted an MP3 to a WMA) and I was still getting a slight gap.

Im going to have to do some more this weekend too, maybe I need to encode from wav to start?

dopeyrulz(Posted 2011) [#7]
raz,

I had to load the original mp3, edit it (to remove the gap) and save as a wav file. I then converted it and it works ok for me.

I used Audacity to do the work.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hiya,

yeah that's what I've been doing. When you say edit it to remove the gap, do you mean, there's a visible gap at the end of the mp3, or merely the process of editing and saving as a wav removes the gap?

My actual MP3's do not have a gap at the end.