V40 Up! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/V40 Up! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

Update V40 is now available!

This mainly addresses memory management issue with images/sounds.

In general, automatic memory management should be sufficient for cleaning up images/sounds (now that it's fixed), but I've also added a 'Discard' method to Image and Sound to give you greater control. Note that using these may not actually discard the resource immediately - in some cases, sounds can't be discarded while they're playing, and texture's can't be discarded until the next OnRender etc - but it does at least queue up the resource for discarding ASAP.

Modules:

Implemented dguy's ios mojo fix for LoadString crash with non-existent files.

monkey - removed resource module.

mojo graphics/audio - Added Discard method to Image and Sound (these are still GC'd though).

iOS mojo audio - tweaked ExtAudio based loader to attempt to deal with popping mp3s.

input - Fixed KEY_JOYBLAH typo.

Trans (1.13):

Addeds support for New with Extern classes - no ctors allowed for now (ie: default only)!

Fixed C++ GC handling of interfaces.

Dima(Posted 2011) [#2]
Thanks Mark, and keep up the good work!

I was always a huge fan of your products, specially BlitzMax, now Monkey! HrdNutz is my Blitz site alias, I'm using my real name here however (Dmitriy Safro) and excited about joining up early.

Was thinking about redoing my old game RoX ( http://www.bd-fans.com/RoX.html a VB6 boulderdash clone) in BlitzMax using LUA, but now I am very much in love with Monkey, so the Blitz stuff is on hold for the moment. New project is a Tower Defense game for mobile devices, and hopefully I can monetize from it as well.

Thanks again for such amazing products!

xzess(Posted 2011) [#3]
Wow your speed is amazing, thanks so much! Do you have a donation adress to thank you?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#4]
Thanks Mark! @xzess: You could just buy it twice. ;)

Hima(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks x 1000 for this <3
This is probably the first time I bought an application that I can't keep up with the update XD

xzess(Posted 2011) [#6]
I compiled my code with V40.

Im getting a "Reference Error" bb_init not defined (for target html5)

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hi,

Does it happen with the samples?

Have you deleted .build folders?

xzess(Posted 2011) [#8]
Ok sorry, i didn't delete the build folder :/

After i cleaned i rebuilt and got the following error:

Error: SECURITY_ERR: DOM Exception 18
@Graphics.monkey Line 472

Those samples i tried worked.

EDIT: I got it, the problem was something with Jungle and the mserver. Now it works :)
All thumbs up to you mark!

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#9]
Whew!

xzess(Posted 2011) [#10]
:)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#11]
Great! So I can rename my initializer.monkey back to init.monkey. :D

Raz(Posted 2011) [#12]
I get stung by not deleting the the build directly at least once every other update. When will I learn?

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#13]
Mark is awesome.

JohnathanS(Posted 2011) [#14]
As always awesome work!!!

TwistedSage(Posted 2011) [#15]
Hmm. On Windows only I get:

Compile Error
Duplicate identifier 'App' found in module 'app' and module 'app'.

On OS X it works.
This is v40 and I deleted the build folders. Interestingly enough I got this error on OS X before deleting the build folder. But on Windows 7 no go.

Examples work though. I have had issues due to many many imports and mixed import/class names etc before. I guess App is imported twice?!

I will try to re-arrange my code as usual (however tedious) to make it work.