Abstracted RenderBuffer

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Abstracted RenderBuffer

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#1]
I've been looking the mojo graphics API and currently it has a rather inflexible (but usefully simple) model where there is only the device graphics area and everything draws to that. Is there any intention to create an API with a more flexible concept of a render buffer and to enable dynamic compositing?

What I mean is having some sort of base render buffer class that allows copying from and drawing to. The mojo full-screen display buffer would be a special instance of this but application code could create off-screen buffers for internal use. Having this ability opens up opportunities for visual effects and streamlining drawing code.

I'm no expert in all the targets but the standard js canvas lib supports this sort of thing and so does Flash. I'm assuming that lower level targets like GLFW and XNA would also be capable of doing so.

BigAnd(Posted 2011) [#2]
I sort of asked this question here:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=263

Not sure if its the exact same as what you want but sounds like it to me.

I would love to be able to do this as its really stopping me getting on with monkey the way I want to.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#3]
>Not sure if its the exact same as what you want but sounds like it to me.

More or less. I'm not particularly bothered about gaining access to the actual backbuffer, as that's a low-level implementation issue. I'm more concerned about having the ability to composite drawing operations in code using image/buffer/whatever objects that are read/write enabled.

I've looked through the graphics APIs for the various platforms and they all seem to make it possible to do this on some level.