Monkey Moving Forward

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Monkey Moving Forward

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#1]
I appreciate these are still the hectic early days of Monkey and you're fire-fighting as much as anything, but is there a possibility of having some view of the "todo" list that is mentioned occasionally? It would be nice to know if features like interfaces are on that list for development or just distant maybes.

Also, considering the public domain status of the language, is there any chance of development being shifted to a public repository? I understand your need to maintain control of the official released version, but I'm sure there are people who would be interested in tracking development and maybe submitting patches.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,

> It would be nice to know if features like interfaces are on that list for development or just distant maybes.

There wont be any major language changes for a long time. I will probably save these up for a '2.0' version at some point in the future - but we're talking AT LEAST a year here.

> Also, considering the public domain status of the language, is there any chance of development being shifted to a public repository?

I plan on adding a 'PD' page with a link to a free mojo-less version, but that's it. Others are welcome to start up their own 'open source' or whatever projects, but I don't really have either the time or know how to properly 'run' an open source project.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#3]
>I don't really have either the time or know how to properly 'run' an open source project.

Sure. I was more wondering if you might just maintain a public repository of the official version. If not, will you at least be definitely releasing the source that matches each release from Blitz? Based on some of the line numbers I've seen in errors I'm not sure the files are always in synch currently.

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi,

> If not, will you at least be definitely releasing the source that matches each release from Blitz?

Well, licensed users will always receive up-to-date source (updates are basically just a dump of my dev dir), but any eventual 'free' version will be updated purely when I feel like it/get around to it etc.

> Based on some of the line numbers I've seen in errors I'm not sure the files are always in synch currently.

This is more likely to be minor bugs/issues in the compiler. Please post an examples of crap error reporting to the bug reports forum!