Basic Game Example

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Basic Game Example

jtadeo(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi Everyone,

I'm evaluating monkey and would like to know if there is sample code available that includes things like:

1. Collision
2. Actor movement such as run, jump, walk, idle etc.
3. Score
4. Other basic functions in most games.

I've checked the docs and have done forum searches. So if there are more resources please post it and share.

matt(Posted 2011) [#2]
Right now there's not a lot of code out there for the stuff in the app section. However all four of your criteria are possible in monkey, but you have to do it yourself using the built-in commands.

It sounds like what you are after is a framework that makes the common tasks easier, but there are no such frameworks at the moment for monkey.

Anyway, here are a couple of bits of code that may shed some light:

MonkeyPong
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=104#451

Asteroids
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=373&app_id=45

jtadeo(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks matt, I had a chance to message with MikeHart and he gave me more info. What I like most about Monkey is that I don't need an Internet connection to compile. That's a huge deal with me as I don't always have a connection.

I'll check those out and see what I can figure out. I'll post and share what I learn.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi James,

here is a basic circle to circle collision detection. It checks the distance of to vectors, substracts each radius. If the rsult is below zero, a collision has accured.

Method CheckCollision:Int(xPos:Float, yPos:Float, xPos2:Float, yPos2:Float, iRadius:Float, iRadius2:Float)
			Local xdiff:Float
			Local ydiff:Float 
			Local dist:Float

xdiff = xPos - xPos2
			ydiff = yPos - yPos2

dist = Sqrt(xdiff * xdiff + ydiff * ydiff)- iRadius - iRadius2
			If dist < 0.0 Then
				Return True
			Endif
			Return False
	  End

jtadeo(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks Mike. It's like we don't talk to each other ever and then all of sudden I feel like I'm drinking from a garden hose with all the messages and posts we've done in the past hour...lol...

I have some left over monkeys from a previous game I made too. I think I know what I'll do with them now. A couple of bananas and fruits too...so it'll be good.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yeah, i read your blog about the 48hour challenge you did with Robert. Cool stuff. And the arr you did, awesome. I like it.