.monkey file association fix (Windows 7)

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/.monkey file association fix (Windows 7)

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all. I had some trouble getting the .monkey extension to be associated with monk.exe. Here's how I fixed it. Beware, if you are not comfortable poking around in your registry then do NOT do this. You can totally annihilate your system and it will explode...

1. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt
2. type in REGEDIT and hit enter
3. Click Ok on the box that pops up
4. Click the tiny triangle next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
5. Scroll down until you see monkey_auto_file and double click it
6. Double click shell
7. Double click open
8. Click command
9. On the right double click (Default)
10. In the box that pops up enter the below but with YOUR exact path to monk.exe. You need to put the quotations and %1 in quotations at the end exactly as it is below. This is MY path to monk.exe. Yours might be different. If you get the path wrong it won't work.

"C:\MonkeyPro\monk.exe" "%1"

11. Click the X in the upper right corner of the regedit box and exit the registry editor.
12. Go to your MonkeyPro folder and right click any .monkey file. Now monk.exe will be selectable.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible if you mess up your registry and your computer won't boot. You have been warned.

On a friendlier note, this works if you follow the steps exactly. Don't mess with ANYTHING else.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#2]
I'm sure it was easier than that for me. Can't quite remember the steps, but there was no registry hacking required.

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#3]
I found another way, using command line tools:
http://www.monkeytools.net/articles/Associating_.monkey_file_extensions_with_Monkey_IDE

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
Can't you right-click a .monkey file, "Open With", Browse, locate and click on monk.exe, tick "always open with blah blah blah", bish bash bosh - job done?

Canardian(Posted 2011) [#5]
That works sometimes, but very often it doesn't. Even if you browse the .exe, it will disappear when you want to click the "always open with this program", and even if it appears, it still often doesn't get associated. It's a complete mess, but using the two commands it works always, even when you put your programs in a better directory, like c:\prg\monkeypro (faster to type, no buggy spaces in the foldername, no 32-bit/64-bit hell).

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#6]
@GfK: Normally yes. But if you've downloaded the demo and then bought the full version it will associate it with the demo folder which no longer allows you to select monk.exe in the Open With, Always Use This[x] option. That's all my fix does, it corrects where the registry "sees" your monk.exe.

@Lumooja: Your command line stuff doesn't work in Windows 7. I tried yours first. All different kinds of ways. You should be a lot clearer in your instructions and also your commands are repeated twice which is confusing.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#7]
Normally yes. But if you've downloaded the demo and then bought the full version it will associate it with the demo folder which no longer allows you to select monk.exe in the Open With

Can't you just hold shift and right click the file type to change the Open With... ?

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#8]
More vagueness. My fix works. No idea what you mean Pert...

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#9]
Nor I, I was used to the way XP does it, where once you've associated a file type it doesn't let you choose again unless you shift+click the file

Chroma(Posted 2011) [#10]
Right, my fix is for Windows 7. It has problems with file associations sometimes...