Bug tracker

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Bug tracker

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi Mark,

wouldn't it be better to have some kind of a real bug tracker like Bugzilla or Mantis instead of a bug forum?

Another question: If you lock a topic in the bug forum like this one, does that mean that it's fixed for the next version or is it just an invalid bug?

marksibly(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hi,

> wouldn't it be better to have some kind of a real bug tracker like Bugzilla or Mantis instead of a bug forum?

I don't know, I've never used one.

They do strike me as a bit 'over the top' though for smaller scale productions like Monkey, and if they're too complicated I suspect they can even discourage people from posting reports. I certainly grew to dislike Apple's 'blackhole' bug report system pretty intensely - but that's probably because they NEVER FIXED ANY OF MY BUGS!

I've never had a problem with the 'bug reports' forum approach - I find it nice an immediate and interactive etc., and with frequent enough updates there aren't any/many duplicates.

Perhaps it could be enhanced with the addition of 'Known bugs' (for my todo list) and 'Fixed bugs' forums?

Dunno, what do others think.

> If you lock a topic in the bug forum

It means 'dealt with'! If it's a 'not a bug' bug, then I'll generally post something before I lock. Actually, I'll try and always post before locking in future.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yep you might be right. Bugtrackers could discourage people from posting bugs. If it works for you then it's good!

A "known bugs" and "fixed bugs" addition would be good I think.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#4]
In my opinion, a sort of knowledge base with fixed bugs would be great.

matt(Posted 2011) [#5]
I guess at the point monkey is open sourced an issues tracker will come along for free?