FontMachine for Mojo

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/FontMachine for Mojo

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#1]
Just to anounce that my bitmap font library is being ported to mojo, as a module. More info about this very soon.

JIM(Posted 2011) [#2]
That's great!

Beaker(Posted 2011) [#3]
ziggy - is there any way this could be integrated with the angelfont/hiero code that comes with monkey? It would be nice to have one kickass system even if the font bitmaps come from different sources.

Feel free to improve the code or suggest changes.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#4]
I don't think so at first release BUT, we could provide an abstract base font class and make both systems extend it. FontMachine is a layered font system, that supports unicode and some additional things that angelfont does not support, and maybe angelfont supports things that FontMachine does not, so if we find a common basic command set, we could make a base class and use it as a "driver" class for fonts... just an idea... I need to finish the port first, but looks like something to take into consideration

xzess(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thats pretty cool, are there any news yet?

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#6]
Not yet, but soon. I hope it is just a matter of weeks now. I'm preparing an update of the FontMachine editor too.

wmaass(Posted 2011) [#7]
I love FontMachine.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#8]
didn't test it, but i love blide and jungle :D

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#9]
It should be out in a couple of weeks, if everything goes as planned.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'm sorry it is being delayed. Lots of work to do in Jungle Ide latelly, but all in all, it's starting to shape.

Here's latest update in the Jungle Ide website, jsut in case anyone reading this is interested:

http://www.jungleide.com/?page_id=33/fontmachine-group6/fontmachine-open-source-module-forum11/almost-ready-for-version-00-00-001-thread136

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#11]
Can one buy this module separtely?
If so is there any chance on a mac version (i mean the font editor)?

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#12]
The font editor does work with the mono framework, but the rendering engine of mono (the GDI+ implementation it has) has some glitches on MacOs computers. Mono is under heavy development so it may be a matter of time than the editor works properly on a Mac. I'll keep you informed here, but being honest, current mono version does not work very well on a Mac yet for GDI+ rendering...

By the way, the module will be free and open source. The editor will cost money, but there's nothing stoping you creating your own editor for the module :D

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#13]
Just a brief very small first test:

http://www.jungleide.com/fontmachine/sample01/MonkeyGame.html

This example shows how the mojo implementation of FontMachine can load font characters dynamically as requested (this is optional) so you do not need to download the full font, only missing characters can be dynamically loaded by the engine on request. This is specially usefull when working with HTML or Flash targets. Also, if a character is not needed by the font, you save vram as it is never ever loaded (not even downloaded from the server depending on target).

The same is not impressive, just a very stupid scenario with some unanimated text.