fantomEngine - WP8 orientation issues

Monkey Forums/User Modules/fantomEngine - WP8 orientation issues

monotonic(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I've just started using fantomEngine and when I came to test the game on windows phone 8 the view was messed up when rotating the screen. In portrait mode the tiled map example project is correctly scaled to fit in letter box mode, then when I switch to landscape the map appears half way down the screen with gui layers off screen.

Everything seems to scale correctly but the camera offsets are not modified to make everything appear on screen correctly.

Does this not work on wp8?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#2]
Have you tested it on the latest monkey (v72/v73a?) I think this was fixed on v72.

monotonic(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi SLotman

I'm using version 73a and the problem persists.

I don't think this is an issue with Monkey, autofit works like a charm, it's a problem with fantomEngine. If I fix the orientation to landscape in VS before deploying it works OK, it's only when the orientation changes.

I currently doing tests with the tiled example that comes with fantomEngine to make sure that it's not a problem with my code.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#4]
If you change the orientation during the execution of the app, you need to call SetCanvasSize again.

monotonic(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hi MikeHart,

OK, that sounds reasonable. So if i check the screen size in the update loop then call the set canvas size if its changed that should do it right, or is there a better way of doing this?

Although, thinking about it, the canvas size shouldn't change, I would want to keep the canvas size but have it scale correctly. Would calling set canvas size with the same values account for this?

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#6]
Yes, each update call or at least every so often. You don't need to set a different canvas size. All what SetCanvasSize does is set the virtual canvas size for fE and calculate the aspect ratios plus the camera offset according the the give mode and the actual size of the device canvas.

So it would only work if the canvas size values of the device change when you rotate the device. If the values for DeviceHeight() and DeviceWidth() doesn't change according to the ration, fE can't do anything about it. But as you say that AutoFit works, then fE should handle it just fine.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#7]
Ok, you need a little modified version of SetCanvasSize to make it work when you rotate the device:

Method SetCanvasSize:Void(width:Int, height:Int, canvasmode:Int = ftEngine.cmLetterbox)
		screenWidth = DeviceWidth()
		screenHeight = DeviceHeight()
		Local dx:Int = screenWidth - width
		Local dy:Int = screenHeight - height
		If canvasmode > 3 Or canvasmode < 0 Then Error ("~n~nError in method ftEngine.SetCanvasSize.~n~nInvalid mode value = "+canvasmode)
		canvasWidth = width
		canvasHeight = height
		If canvasmode = 0 Then
			scaleX = screenWidth / canvasWidth
			scaleY = screenHeight / canvasHeight
		Elseif canvasmode = 1 Then
			autofitX = (screenWidth - canvasWidth)/2
			autofitY = (screenHeight - canvasHeight)/2
		Elseif canvasmode = 2 Then
			scaleX = screenWidth / canvasWidth
			scaleY = screenHeight / canvasHeight
			If scaleX > scaleY Then 
				scaleX = scaleY
			Else
				scaleY = scaleX
			Endif
			autofitX = ((screenWidth - (canvasWidth*scaleX))/2) 
			autofitY = ((screenHeight - (canvasHeight*scaleY))/2)
		Endif
	End

monotonic(Posted 2013) [#8]
Excellent, thank you very much, it is appreciated. With this change in place fantomEngine will be a formidable package.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#9]
...With this change in place fantomEngine will be a formidable package.

thanks, I guess I can stop working on it then :-)