lemongames game's minimalistic framework

Monkey Forums/User Modules/lemongames game's minimalistic framework

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
I've open sourced the game's framework I'm using at LemonBytes for our game's development.
It's a very minimalistic framework. I do not plan on adding documentation or samples to it, as I'm currently having lots of work, but if anyone is interested, just take a look.

It's not as complete as diddy. I've writtten it from scratch because I want to control every aspect of it. The only exception is the XML loader by SKN3, that was privately integrated as part of the framework as it is a very useful, nice, and well written piece of code. (not saying that other implementations are not good).

You can get it here:

https://code.google.com/p/lemongames/

Just a brief explanation of how it works:

The engine has it's own app object called Browser.
A browser runs Screens, each screem update returns a eScreenStatus, etc.

The engine handles automatically scalling, fading between screen, pausing, texturepacker loading.... It depends on FontMachine.

Not sure what more to say. I'll be not making samples or documentation for it anytime soon, but if anyone finds it interesting and has any questions, I'll happily answer them as I have the time to do it.

The main reason for open sourcing this is:
-It's easier for me to push/pull between computers
-It's nice to share efforts on small languages such as Monkey
-It's always nice to get some bug-hunting help if anyone else likes it.

This is not meant to compete with other more complex frameworks like the Playniax one (which I can recommend to everybody looking for a commercially supported complex and complete solution).

Anyway, that's it!

Playniax(Posted 2013) [#2]
Thanks Ziggy!

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#3]
Nice one Ziggy. Sharing is caring :D

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#4]
The more the merrier! I bought Ignition but I look at others too. The game I am working on now I did the first prototype with straight mojo, then one in Ignition and then one with fantom. I like parts of each of them. Maybe I need to roll my own too :)