Challenger GUI Part 3

Monkey Forums/User Modules/Challenger GUI Part 3

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#1]
Latest Module Version (1.6):
Challenger Arts Website

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#2]
I just purchased your Visual Builder and payed via Paypal, but now there is no possibility to download it?
The only thing I got after payment was an empty page with the title "order history" (or something similar).
Maybe there is an error in the order process?

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#3]
Now I registered to your wordpress site with the same mail-adress used to pay with in paypal. But after clicking on "my downloads" it says "You have not purchased any downloads"?

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#4]
Looking into his now, sorry

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#5]
Ok should be working now :) Tried with myself and a new user. Just let me know if anyone is having any more trouble.

matty47(Posted 2012) [#6]
For some reason I don't seem to be able to access the site above.
Is it down???
Thanks
Matthew

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#7]
Should be ok, Ive just accessed it (via the links) on 2 different computers.

I was making some changes around 10 - 11:30pm maybe that was it?

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#8]
Thanks Chris for the fast fix.
Now everything works. The builder and the module are both great pieces of monkey software.

BTW: Does the gui module work together with the "autofit" module (which resizes everything to the actual screen resolution of the device)?
Or should I replace the TouchX() and TouchY()-calls in the gui module with VTouchX() and VTouchY() ?

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#9]
I have never used that module, so am gunna guess at no, should be easy with a quick find/replace.
Remember to add CHGUI_Width = Devicewidth() and the same for the height if you want the GUI canvas to fit to the device dimensions :) glad u like it :)
Any problems or feature requests just let me know.

fsoft(Posted 2012) [#10]
Why the builder is only for Windows?

The demo version used to work on Linux too...

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#11]
BTW: Does the gui module work together with the "autofit" module

It should be fairly simple to make it work, just a few changes to calls like TouchX() becomes VTouchX().

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#12]
If the demo works in Linux (including load and save) then the full version will work. The only difference with the full version is I have set the export menu to be active.

joasia36(Posted 2012) [#13]
chris: I really like to buy your editor, if there was an Mac version. If you need help to compile a Mac version, feel free to contact me.

btw. i run in trouble with the numeric input. I just realized most of the time I need a numerical input, I need some sort of separator too ("." or "," as decimal or date seperator, ":" as time separator...). how could this be implemented, without breaking the interface?

Qcat(Posted 2012) [#14]
Looks fantastic. I might pick up a copy. Are there any plans to do a Mac version?

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#15]
I will try get one released today, as long as I can find a mac lying about lol.

As for the numbers I will change the module and builder to accept "." on a number only textfield and re-upload it

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#16]
I have now made a game were the Challenger GUI and the Autofit module work together:
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=2776
(the GUI is used in the options menue, second screenshot).

Here are some hints if someone wants to use both modules together too:
The GUI module calls at different places in the code DeviceWidth() and DeviceHeight() to get to know the physical resolution of a device. This doesn't work with autofit, because when then everything is scaled to a virtual resolution, some things (especially MsgBoxes) are drawn at wrong positions.
So, to use both modules together, do the following:
* Open challengergui.monkey
- Search & replace every occurence of "DeviceWidth()" with "CHGUI_Width"
- Search & replace every occurence of "DeviceHeight()" with "CHGUI_Height"
- Search & replace every occurence of "TouchX()" with "VTouchX()"
- Search & replace every occurence of "TouchY()" with "VTouchY()"
* Open the source code of your app
- Look for the position of SetVirtualDisplay and note the values you have put here (e.g. SetVirtualDisplay 640, 480)
- Look in your OnCreate() block for the command GUI_Define() and insert into the next two lines:
CHGUI_Width=640
CHGUI_Height=480
(the values 640 and 480 must of course be replaced by the ones you have got in SetVirtualDisplay)

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#17]
The site is blocked by Nod32 AV. Anything wrong?

invaderJim(Posted 2012) [#18]
Not working at all for me :(

Making an app with an older version at the moment, but it's killin me not being up with the times!

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#19]
Also, in other news, it seems like NOD32 blocks all .co.cc domains by default possibly.

Is this true? maybe thats the probelm

@Invader Jim
Its been tested this end with a clean install of a downloaded copy and all the examples work for me, what kind of errors you getting at your end?

Qcat(Posted 2012) [#20]
I will try get one released today, as long as I can find a mac lying about lol.

That's fantastic news. if you can't find a mac you can try http://www.macincloud.com/ it is 1$ an hour.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#21]
Is this true? maybe thats the probelm
Yes. It's true. I don't know wich hosting provider are you using, but it seems that it is blacklisted.
This is becouse of the co.cc domain.

More info`(from the wiki):

"co.cc" is not an official hierarchy; it is a domain (co.cc) owned by a company who offers free registration of subdomains.

This company offers two free co.cc subdomains, as well as bulk discounts for ordering as many as 15,000 domain names at a time. These domains have been used by spammers to create spam blogs, or "splogs," often with nonsense names like "extensitiesdiminutal.co.cc" and the like but all registrants are in fact subject to a terms of service prohibiting standard illegalities.

Step-by-step instructions for registrants on how to use well known hosting services like Blogger, Windows Live, and Google Apps are included on its homepage.

Due to previously large use by website spammers of sub-domains from co.cc, in July 2011 Google removed over 11 million .co.cc websites from its search results. Google's JohnMu recommended that individuals who have legitimate sites (in line with Google's Webmaster Guidelines) on the .co.cc subdomain send a reconsideration request to Google to have their specific site excluded from the ban. [2][3][4][5]

The abundance of cheap .co.cc domains has also been used by those who sell fake "anti-virus" programs.

If you're going to sell software, I would recommend you to get a proper hosting. Dreamhost is a joy to work with and allow you for later dedicated server if the busines grows, or remain as a shared cheap server if it does not. It's only about 10$ a month. (There are other good alternatives too). I would definitivelly stay away from any co.cc domain, as this would associate your product with spammers and fake software.

invaderJim(Posted 2012) [#22]
@297chrisc

Sorry, I meant your website is not working for me at all.

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#23]
Yeah it would be better and more professional with a proper domain... I will have to have a look into this over the next couple of days.
With regard to mac, ive just bought an additional harddrivr and am looking at hackintosh :) lol will keep u all updated

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#24]
Ok, plan is to migrate to challenger-arts.com within around a week or so, everyone's accounts and purchases will of course also be transferred. (althou passwords may have to be reset - sorry in advance for that).
I'll let u know on here and email my members when the new site is up and running.

Ralf61(Posted 2012) [#25]
I really enjoy looking at this GUI and I would instantly buy it - but I can't ... I have two problems:

- The CHGUI Visual Builder DEMO doesn't work for me. If I try to run the Demo, it says "program ca't be started because OpenAL32.dll is missing. Any hints on that?

- I tried to register at http://challenger-arts.co.cc/ but with no luck. I get no password back from this site. Without password I'm no able to log in and buy this extension (and yes: I looked into every spam folder :)

I thankful for any solutions ...

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#26]
I can't comment on the second question, but I can on the first one. OpenAL is required for the GLFW target output. You can get it here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#27]
Hi Ralf61,
I have resent you password via the website and I will send it to you via my own personal email also.
(I will be migrating to a .com address within the next month Im thinking the domain is to blame for a few niggles :)

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#28]
Is it possible to display columns of data in the listbox? If not, can it be added to the feature requests list? :-)

Thank you!

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#29]
Was going to download, but site seems to be gone. Anybody have the source they can send me? (And can listboxes do columns?)

Thanks!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#30]
his re-direct isn't working, just go here:
http://www.challenger-arts.com

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#31]
Ah! Thanks, Adam.

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#32]
Bloody websites! I have no idea why the old one stopped working!
I will have to hurry up and add the visual builder to the new one and migrate purchases across.
I know its been a while, time is a precious commodity nowadays lol, but just to let you know I am still working on this project.

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2012) [#33]
297chrisc, I was looking through the massive 4k lines of code and noticed that you never use the scissor (a.k.a. viewport) command for textboxes and listboxes. I'm not sure if you don't know about the command or had some reason not to use it, but I think it could really help with items going outside their bounds. At the moment I notice the textboxes just stop at the end of their size, which is a bit odd feeling.

Edit: There's a bug in listboxes. If you are scrolled down lower than double the box size and delete all of the listbox items and then add new items that don't completely fill the listbox, they won't show up because the scrollbar gets stuck below.

There's also a bug with the windows if the parent window is null and you set the window mode to 3 (Always on Top), it doesn't show at all.

Edit 2: You might also notice that your Challenger GUI Visual Builder suffers from the listbox bug, when searching for a file to load, as well. I fixed the bug by adding this line in the function CHGUI_UpdateListbox

[monkeycode] If N.ListboxSlider.Maximum <1 Then
N.ListboxSlider.Visible = 0
Else[/monkeycode]
to
[monkeycode] If N.ListboxSlider.Maximum <1 Then
N.ListboxSlider.Visible = 0
N.ListboxSlider.Value = 0 ' <--
Else[/monkeycode]

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#34]
I like this a lot but I'm struggling a little bit -- is it possible to add text to a Window in such a way that it doesn't prevent the drag-scroll from working? It's a great idea to have interactive elements preventing drag-scrolling but not for labels (which are *the* way to add text content, are't they?)

I thought I might get around it by simply rendering fontmachine text separately and positioning it with CHGUI_OffsetY, but of course you lose the z-ordering of the text relative to other gui objects if you do that. I really just need a strip of buttons on the top of the display with a text-heavy window, with a few more buttons, that drag-scrolls underneath -- very ordinary for a mobile app -- and it seems next to impossible to set up as-is.

For suggestions (if you want any!) it'd be cool if you could specify an element to render. I could definitely see wanting to render a window, then draw some custom stuff, then render a second window. Would also be nice to be able to not render the titlebar of windows (didn't see any obvious way of doing this at the moment).

While I remember, I also noticed that it currently throws a msgbox-related error if you don't add any GUI elements -- found that while trying to use the drag-scrolling values on their own!

Hope that doesn't sound too negative -- I think, for me, this GUI is a coupla tweaks away from becoming part of the furniture :)

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#35]
@Sledge:
Thanks for the feedback, I have been a bit lazy this last month and working on other projects, but I will come out with an update soon.
All comment are great, and I will definatly take them on board :)

To have a window with no titlebar just have "" as the titlebar text.

DrT(Posted 2012) [#36]
@297chrisc:

When will the Visual Builder be available for purchase again?

dooz(Posted 2012) [#37]
I'm having trouble with running the example G_MainExample.monkey on everything target except GLFW, i.e. it works on GLFW.

The error stack is:

Monkey Runtime Error : Null object access

/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/mojo/graphics.monkey<511>
/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/challengergui/challengergui.monkey<2286>
/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/challengergui/challengergui.monkey<2103>
/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/challengergui/challengergui.monkey<2207>
/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/challengergui/challengergui.monkey<855>
/Users/paulsagor/Downloads/Challenger GUI 1.6/Examples/G_MainExample.monkey<215>
/Applications/CustomApps/MonkeyPro59/modules/mojo/app.monkey<70>

Any ideas?

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#38]
I will come out with an update soon

Cool! I've been pushing on with my project and it's given me more things to feedback on (sitting comfortably?!)

- I think I've changed my mind about not being able to drag-scroll over interactive elements, mainly because being able to do so is expected behaviour in the mobile world (so it's what all our customers will expect) and also because I've left some "drag space" at the side of my buttons in my test build of SLAY2 and think it looks a bit inelegant. I know it probably makes things a bit more complex for you, distinguishing when someone has dragged over a gui element rather than used it, but I'd love it if Challenger GUI could work this way.

- I'm seeing blurry button text on a couple of targets (HTML5, GLFW and *possibly* Android). Here's a screenshot (HTML5 in Chrome) and you can see that the top and bottom buttons have noticibly blurry text compared to the middle button...

...I should probably mention that the vertical position of the window to which the buttons belong has no effect on whether their text is crisp or blurred.

- It'd also be nice to have the option to tell a UI element not to alter appearance when disabled (my buttons currently do this, and again it's an aesthetics thing, but it'd look more pleasing if they didn't or if they at least transitioned smoothly). I realise it's a minority request and what's in is normally the appropriate behaviour, though.

- Oh and well I'm warbling on, being able to pass an alignment parameter for button text would be handy as centred text isn't always desirable (apologies if this is in there and I've missed it).

Again, I hope this stuff is useful. Looking forward to the next update :)

Dan(Posted 2012) [#39]
Is there a way to do a multi-line text box using Challenger GUI?

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#40]
So many good suggestions and so much I want to implement also...
I have been working on an android app lately (Challenger Ball) (not released yet), and in doing this I made a 'level builder' for my own use, I noticed so many things that could be better and ended up doing a custom one instead, which I learned a lot from.

So after I finish my little game project I will be returning to this and probably doing a big overhall, including many of the suggestions above :)
A Delayed project, but not a forgotten one :)

Thanks for all the great feedback!

matty47(Posted 2012) [#41]
Well I hope you don't give up on this as it started to look v. good. I purchased the designer and it works OK. On my mac OSX 10.6 I keep getting errors when compiling the examples to HTML5, Android, Flash not GLFW as yet. I'm sure these worked OK however since updating to Monkey Pro 60 no luck getting them to run. Anyone else found this??
Thanks
Matthew

matty47(Posted 2012) [#42]
I looked into this further. A file in the Challenger mod data dir was called "gui_mac.png" however the Challenger mod called for "GUI_mac.png". Of course this worked fine under windows but Mac is case sensitive. Changed the file name and all ran OK.

hardcoal(Posted 2012) [#43]
hi. lets say i want to make an excel like software.
is it possible with your gui to make cells?

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#44]
Thanks for that matty :)
Not given up at all it is now my current project one again, many improvements planned, just an idea of some of planned changes:
Revamped appearance
Images (icons) on menus, submenus, dropdowns, listboxes.
Messgebox can have 2 buttons
Text can scroll with the cursor in textfields
multi line text boxes
I plan to also include an easy to use file explorer to make it super easy to create a open/save window.

So much to do :)

chrisc2977(Posted 2012) [#45]
Sneak preview of the new look

Qcat(Posted 2012) [#46]
Hi!

How is this project going? i am seriously thinking of porting the editor to my game from blitzmax. and i am looking for a gui with an editor. are you still selling one?

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#47]
Sad this seem dead, would have been a nice GUI for my project. Hope we will get news about you soon :(

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#48]
Anyone know how to contact him ?

mardrag(Posted 2012) [#49]
@Rushino:
His mail-adress is: curlychrischallenger (at) yahoo.co.uk

Rushino(Posted 2012) [#50]
I already sent an email to him however.. no answer. :(

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#51]
If I go to the GUI builder page I cannot download or buy anything????

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#52]
Nah you can't. I recommand him to mail him.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#53]
I added thoses features to v1.6 of Challenger GUI for thoses interested.

- Added: Tab support between textfields on the same parent.
- Added: Password support for textfields.
- Fix: Fixed a bug where the msgbox wasn't appearing correctly.
- Fix: Window title fix. (offset)
- Added: SetFocus() function.

You can get this here :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33226466/Files/challengergui_1.6a.zip

Thanks!

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#54]
Sorry everyone, been far too much going on! I will be continuing this at some point in the future, but atm this is not possible. Thank you Rushino for continuing this, hope you can make it better!

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#55]
Hehe no prob. Hope you don't mind.. actually i am using this GUI as my main project and i really love it so i wanted to improve it a bit.

MikeHart(Posted 2013) [#56]
Is this GUI still available?

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#57]
As far that i know its no more officially supported since the author are too busy. I tried to support it but it reached a point where i had to put so many tweaks ( most of them are targetting my game only ) after this project will be mostly complete i might post a new update.

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#58]
Ok peoples, I have returned to this project after some invaluable guidance from Rushino :)

The latest version is still in its very early stages but looks like its shaping up well. More features, flexibility etc etc, and I hope you like the new sleek look :)

Improvements so far are a status bar, window icon and window shadow with adjustable offset, Two styles of button available and most importantly you will be able to draw custom (non gui) stuff inside a window.

Supertino(Posted 2013) [#59]
spiffy stuff

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#60]
Today I have managed to do;
Auto window and content ordering
Drop down boxes

FPS in Html is ok, but is really poor in Flash, I will have to have a look into whats causing that (HTML:50-60 Flash: <10 FPS)
Still need to optimise anyway, but its coming along!

Flash Example

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#61]
Flash should be considered dead to be honest.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#62]
Flash should be considered dead to be honest.

almost, but not quite yet.

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#63]
I know but html 5 is really about to eat it. =) anyway i wouldnt put much effort on it.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2013) [#64]
@297Chrisc - Tried your "Flash Example" link and the page displays an error:

You do not have permission to preview drafts.

Just need to change the setting in WordPress. Thanks.

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#65]
Cheers AndroidAndy, I copied the wrong hyperlink :)
Flash Example

New feature has been added today
You can now drag and resize the windows And also Optional set gui elements within a window to resize in proportion to their window(X & Y indepandly)

Also you can set a referance point of a gui element so that when the window resizes it will be moved according to its reference point (and also resized if you want)

ReferencePoints are TopLeft,TopMiddle,TopRight, Etc etc

- and it works :)

I Probably havent explained it very well, but I will hopefully put an example up in the next few days.

I had a look at the structure and have optimised it, so its a lot smoother now and about 50% faster. I think I will prob start a new thread for the next time as alot of the stuff on this one is for the old challengergui

Rushino(Posted 2013) [#66]
Good work chris. ;)

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#67]
Started a new thread
Here

TFT(Posted 2013) [#68]
Hallo,

work it from HTML5 target ?

TFT

chrisc2977(Posted 2013) [#69]
Yeah all targets supported. New thread see above for link