Monkey 2 - How you like it now?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey 2 - How you like it now?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#1]
Monkey-X is great! We all know that but is anybody here already playing with monkey 2 and what do you think now?

This question was asked before I know but I think it's really moving in the right direction.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#2]
As long as it's not stable and usable for Android AND iOS I won't use it. Why should I? Monkey 1 is stable, works and I can use my modules which I cannot use with Monkey 2 anymore as it uses the Android NDK instead of the SDK.

I like to add that I dislike the new split of that already tiny community. I have no doubts there will be Monkey 3 at some point with an even smaller community.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#3]
I haven't tested it for the mobile targets ( will do this asap ) but for desktop and emscription it's as stable as can be here.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#4]
That might be and I have no doubts it will work for mobiles as well. But as far as I cannot use my Java code for Android it's a no go for me.

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#5]
I'm still sticking with MX in short term as iOS and Android are essential, and HTML5 to some extent. MX still does what I need it to, the only thing I'd love is an Android NDK target.

I'd switch in a heartbeat as soon as M2 is stable with Win Mac iOS Android. And by that I mean the core compiler features, I don't need any whizz bang modules or module manager or Ted2 cool features (although they are cool to have!). I like a lot of the new features but it needs time to solidify as a whole.

rIKmAN(Posted 2016) [#6]
I asked on the Monkey2 forum recently about how far along it was for using it to export to iOS / Android, and Mark said they basically work although there is no support for things like IAP etc yet, so it sounded like you could compile and export to those targets already, but they are a little barebones and not suitable for releasing games.

Link to thread here: http://monkey2.monkey-x.com/forums/topic/a-few-questions/

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#7]
I couldn't get either mobile target working with my simple test last I tried, would be worth trying again if the basics are there.

The main thing that stopped me for going further was global const not initializing. And didn't want to spend too much time pushing forward when things were still too early for production. It's hard enough building something, wanna be patient with Monkey 2.

Const DEG_TO_RAD := PI / 180.0

Didn't work because the expression was evaluated before PI was initialized and was 0.0.

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#8]
I stopped using it for now. The last version on the site is not that useable. I can currently only have 256 colors. The Emscripten has that out of memory arrays problem that also causes problems with the tablet if I set it to high. I only could create a few images in memory before I got that out of memory message. Also the size of the emscripten folder is huge compared to monkeyx!

I might do more in it if I feel like creating/preparing my own gui things but am now back to monkeyx.

For the while being I will let other people do the ground work(reporting bugs and suggesting features ect.)

I was able to create a large collection of examples on my monkey 2 github. Will be useful if I forget things.