So, who is still here and active?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/So, who is still here and active?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi guys!

I was just wondering who is still here and active playing / developing with Monkey X? Or just reading / writing on the forums, publishing apps etc. I am also curious on your opinion about Monkey 2 and if you are usig it or not and why or why not. But keep it nice please! :)

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#2]
I am! Not so much here - more on Facebook than anything else... but I'm still strong with Monkey :)

One of my apps "Senhor Presidente" (Mister President - a presidential simulator, where you have to stay as president for 4 years on the Republic of Bananistan) - was selected by Google Brazil as a "recommended" simulation game - and it reached #16 in top simulation games in Brazil :)
Unfortunately, this game is in Portuguese only - too hard to translate all the political terms :(
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icongames.president

Other than that, I'm doing 2 mini-games...

Astronauta: your rocket exploded, now get its pieces back to fly off the alien planet. A "two" buttons game (was one, but I changed so I have 1 button to small jump, and another one to big jump - the player moves left and right on its own)

4Words: 4 words jumbled in the left side of the screen. Can you guess what those words are? (Almost done with this one)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#3]
Still here but far less active, still working on my game in monkeyX little to no interest in MX2 my opinion on it are clear I think, also not posting on the forums as much no point in talking to myself I guess.

These days I check the forum once a week, its a nice little surprise come Sunday when I find that there has been a post during the week.

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#4]
I am still here (mostly lurking though) and develop using your Pyro framework. From all the available 2D engines I still like Monkey-X the most, it has a more programmatic approach, build size is small, good cross-platform solution due to translating the code instead of using gimmicks and it is easy to step into. I do wish that there were more plugins (e.g. advertisement SDK's aside from Admob) and most of all that they are regularly maintained. I like to focus more on creating a game instead of worrying about the low-level implementation. But I guess that is a disadvantage of a small community.

I haven't checked MX2 at all, I want to wait till it is more developed first.

@SLotman those two mini games look awesome :)

Soap(Posted 2016) [#5]
I lurk at least a few days a week still. Have legacy projects which are still using Monkey and won't be moving from Monkey (just maintaining existing projects, not starting new projects), but new projects I'm using Defold due to overall productivity gains. As far as I know there are no commercial frameworks for Defold yet, but it has a ton built in. Might be worth investigating for you, Playniax, as its community growth is at least much faster than Monkey's, and most of the people who use it are more professional leaning rather than hobbyists.

M2 doesn't look mature enough yet, but might try it later. It seems like it has activity, and that many old regulars moved there. It looks promising and there may be a day where I become active there and with M2. I do not lurk there currently.

By the way, Playniax, I bought everything you've published to support you over the years even though we use our private framework. Sad that Monkey never really took off. It sucks for us who invested so much into it.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#6]
@SLotman : Great work!

@Shockblast and Soap : Thanks for the support!

Sad that Monkey never really took off. It sucks for us who invested so much into it.

I am going to give it another try with Monkey 2 and Pyro 2!

It will have a scene, particle and gui editor to compete with tools like Defold.

Who else is still here?

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#7]
I am here, but novice. I thought the community Monkey is greater. It's a very successful language.
I made only one experimental game.
Monkey2 I have not tried yet.

@SLotman : Great game!

therevills(Posted 2016) [#8]
Boo!

Picco(Posted 2016) [#9]
I'm currently working on converting Duck Dash (a Boulder Dash style game) to Monkey. The old BlitzMax version is here, if you want to try it: http://dd.picco.dk/

I have tried Monkey 2 a couple of times, but I don't think it's mature enough yet.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#10]
Still here and working on a couple of projects, but the community is very dead, partly because of the split into Monkey and Monkey 2.

MikeHart(Posted 2016) [#11]
I am here, there and everythere. :-)

My favorite tools are AGK2, Clip Studio Paint and Artrage 4. Monkey X I use to support my frameworks.

secondgear(Posted 2016) [#12]
Come on, enough doom and gloom ;) The rumors of this community death is greatly exaggerated. Monkey X is mature and stable, there is not much to discuss on this forum except for weather. I still use it actively, and it works well for me. Best cross-platform tool for small projects.

EdzUp(Posted 2016) [#13]
Im still here, mainly lurking around and on rare occasions I fire up 85e and play around getting stuff done.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2016) [#14]
I mostly lurk the mx2 forums now, although I'm still not comfortable coding in it yet with the extra imports boilerplate and lack of a fully-featured IDE like Jungle. I'm hoping to developing a non-game project in it to "get the ropes" but most likely my next game will be Monkey1 because that's what it was started in, and mx will continue to be what I develop games in for the time being.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#15]
Come on, enough doom and gloom ;) The rumors of this community death is greatly exaggerated

I tend to agree here ( unless your beeing sarcastic ). I mean what is here to discuss? I know I am still selling Ignition X and Pyro to new people so there is interest for Monkey X.

Besides, I think MX1 is developed to a point that it is stable and does what is was designed for. Don't get me wrong, I love MX1 but with the increasing feature demand it made sense to start MX2. Now MX2 has to mature a bit more for the general people but the language doesn't differ to much from MX1

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#16]
I'm here too! Still using MX1 but have an eye on MX2 as well.

MX2 just creates C++ as output right? So what if I have modules like realtime.co that uses only Java for Android? No chance, right?

ratking(Posted 2016) [#17]
Too busy with my Unity projects for now :(

No interest in MX2 whatsoever, though.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#18]
No interest in MX2 on my part either. As for Monkey being "mature and stable" - there are lots of problems with it... if you look at targets like Windows Phone, or even some stuff on Android (Admob anyone?) things are really complicated.
I fear on the long run for Monkey, that it is going to be just like Bltiz3D and BlitzMax... not much that I can do about it though :(

And about those games: thanks everyone! I should be releasing the "4words" one really soon (1 or 2 weeks tops), the other one I still have to come up with some more stuff before its complete :)

OvineByDesign(Posted 2016) [#19]
Still here, seem to be doing more work stuff with MonkeyX (mainly HTML5 stuff) - no interest in Monkey2 at all

/StuC

Sub_Zero(Posted 2016) [#20]
I've had no projects going on with monkey-x for 2 years now...
But now I've got a website assignment that has to look good, so I'm thinking of using monkey-x for the html5 part...
MX2? Is that a new product, or?

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#21]
MX2 is indeed a new product of Mark.

I think Monkey-X itself is a really good cross-platform code base and that is its strength. What it does not have is a defined and supported workflow like Unity or Defold, so every developer creates and uses its own based on which tools they are familiar with.

Difference(Posted 2016) [#22]
Still here, and actively using Monkey 1 and slowly some MX2.
I'm planning on doing my next app and framework in MX2.

Beaker(Posted 2016) [#23]
Only here occasionally, but still using Monkey1 for a few work related HTML5 projects.

Not really had time (or reason) to use Monkey2 yet. Does it support HTML5 properly yet?

Leginus(Posted 2016) [#24]
Still lurking around and very actively and full time using Monkey1.

PixelPaladin(Posted 2016) [#25]
I'm still there – at least sometimes :)
MX2 is really cool but I will stay with Monkey X for a little longer (there are some things I want to finish before switching over to MX2).
I also really like the community.

Steve Ancell(Posted 2016) [#26]
OYE OYE! \o/

jayparker(Posted 2016) [#27]
Still here. I read this forum about 10 times in a week.
I use MX1 and sorry, but not so much intrest in MX2.

Phil7(Posted 2016) [#28]
Hi, I'm also here, reading the forum about 10 times a week. The reason I'm sticking with MX1 and mojo1 for now is that games run on a lot of windows machines even older ones (winXP) without hassle and that is not the case with mojo2 and/or MX2. But I am looking forward to using MX2 for desktop applications like I was doing before with PureBasic.
As PureBasic is also a one/two men show, In my opinion MX2 has with PureBasic a really good example to follow concerning the documentation and source examples.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2016) [#29]
I come by to see what's happening a few times a week but I haven't been actively using Monkey for a long time. I shelved a framework project a couple of years ago when the writing seemed on the wall as far as Monkey growing its userbase and that was the last thing I was doing barring helping a few people with their stuff. I look in on MX2 on occasion too. I was very interested in playing with it but was put off by the lack of an msvc toolchain and with it access to a nice debugger and profiler. The thought of digging out some sort of replacement toolset that would work with the gcc build comes to me sometimes but the motivation is difficult to come by when the community is smaller again.

I'm not sure if I keep visiting out of curiosity, hope or some fetish for musing over lost opportunities.

Rieha(Posted 2016) [#30]
I'm still using Monkey 1 with Mojo 1 actively. Just released an iOS update for my game Ookujira and Android version is coming soon. I check the forum whenever I need help with something - I've never been an active poster here (or anywhere else). Haven't really explored Monkey 2, but will compare it to other options when I start my next project soon.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#31]
Heh, just released one of those games I posted about: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icongames.fourwords

Let me tell you guys, making a 500+ words dictionary in English, Portuguese and Spanish is no fun at all :P

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#32]
Not spamming - I promess! But I just released another game, this one called "Mister President".

It's a simulation game, where you get to be the president of the new Republic of Bananistan - and this one already got 170k downloads just here in Google Play / Brazil (Game was only in Portuguese first - but I translated it into English now - not an easy task getting some political "lingo" right - I hope!)

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icongames.president
(The game is also available on iOS, but I didn't upload the english version there yet...)

rIKmAN(Posted 2016) [#33]
I'm still here, not using Monkey much lately since I got GMS in the Humble Bundle and have been playing around with that (don't shoot me!) mainly due to it supporting XB1 (and coming with all the exports for Android / iOS etc for $15 - I thought why not!)

I still prefer Monkey though and check the forum a few times a week, and tonight decided to have a break and come and see how quickly I could recreate what I have in GM in Monkey as the Spine support there is absolutely dire - there are about 12 commands - and the update is perpetually "coming soon".
Can't moan for $15 though, right?

So yeah I'll be back using Monkey and Ignition for the next week or so and see how things go - still gutted no XB1 support planned even for Monkey2, especially now you can use your own retail XB1 in dev mode and MS being so friendly towards indies and publishing on the console.

Have not even touched Monkey2 at all, but still supporting on Patreon as I think Mark is a genius and deserves the backing.

Boulderdash(Posted 2016) [#34]
I purchased mojo 1 ages ago, started porting my old blitz max project over and just got it working but without input yet about to submit it to this website and google app store.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#35]
Remember my "Mister President" - the one from 2-3 posts above? ^_^

Just got in the Top 50 apps of 2016 on SlideDB! Wooohoooo!
It's there in the "realistic sim" category - and if any of you guys could help out, please vote for it here: http://www.slidedb.com/games/mister-president/#6294341
(Voting still going on for the next 8 days - now to get the best of 2016)

MikeHart(Posted 2016) [#36]
@Slotman: Voting done. Cool looking app you have there.

arawkins(Posted 2016) [#37]
I still use MX quite often, and check this forum maybe once every week or two. I find it to be a good tool to quickly get images moving around on a screen, and use it once in awhile to make small fun games with my kids (this was made almost completely under the direction of my 4 year old daughter, we did it in a few hours).

I have been playing with MX2 but do find it somewhat more difficult that MX1. I like some of the new features (lambda functions in particular), but it's not always easy to find stuff in the docs. I have also been using Godot quite a bit and find it is filling the same niche as monkey for me.

JaviCervera(Posted 2016) [#38]
I am not very active on the forums (I check them every couple of weeks or so), but I developed the Vortex 3D library a while ago, and am about to make the vortex2 branch on Github the main one.

Apart from Vortex, which is a small project I made just for fun a couple of years ago, I am writing a simple 3D engine in MX, with its own custom scripting language and script editor, in order to make a game I have wanted to finish for a long time (I started it in DarkBASIC more than a decade ago).

About Monkey2, I like what I'm seeing, but the documentation is lackluster, and I would have preferred myself that Mark had continued work on MX instead. The feeling that Monkey2 gives me right now is that it is far from being mature enough, but I follow its progress with great interest.

SLotman(Posted 2016) [#39]
@MikeHeart Thanks! You won't believe the ammount of fun I'm having with this game - here in Brazil there are some videos on Youtube of kids playing it... and I can't stop laughing seeing those :)
(Too bad those videos are all in Portuguse, but those kids playing - and their comments on whats happening - are hilarious!)

Edit: Wooohooo! Game ended up on 4th place on SlideDB! :)

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#40]
I usually check this forum several times a day. I have not been doing anything with monkeyx for a while.

When Monkey 2 got more useable I started trying that and I liked it.

I have been looking at my paypal account to see how it all works and I want to use it for the first time and donate some money to Blitz Research sometime this christmas.

btw. If you want to help blitz research then see this site :
https://www.slant.co/options/1074/~monkey-x-review

Monkeyx still is one of the best 2d game programming options around according to the feedback there. MonkeyX was higher up the list a while ago.

I might start spending more time working with monkeyX becourse there still are some serious limitations with monkey 2. My computers only have 4 bit colors with it atm. And It might take a while before a new version is released.

MikeHart(Posted 2016) [#41]
I am taking a break form Monkey 2 and will look at it again in 6-9 months.

Shinkiro1(Posted 2016) [#42]
Still checking the forums every week.
My current project of 6 month is all monkey1, so I am not going anywhere.

PS: Wrote a description on Slant.

bitJericho(Posted 2016) [#43]
I'm still around :)

nullterm(Posted 2016) [#44]
Still here! Trying to finish up a Monkey X game right now for iOS and Android to kick off a busy 2017.

MonkeyPlotter(Posted 2016) [#45]
Still here, adding ever more functionality / ironing out some gremlins (adding more functionality has more appeal though) to my HTML5 version of my training analysis tool.

Dipping my toe into Monkey 2 also, however I've invested a fair old wedge of time into my Monkey X project so I'll be here for a while yet ;)

Pierrou(Posted 2016) [#46]
Not active at all here but still working on something using Monkey1/Mojo1/IgnitionX when I have some time. When I'm done I guess Monkey2/Pyro2 will become my weapon of choice but at the moment Monkey X does what I need anyway...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2016) [#47]
Still here, just not active yet. Still <3 Monkey!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#48]
Adam, are you still maintaining minib3d? :D

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2017) [#49]
I want to, but time laughs at my wishlist! We will see.

SpaceAce(Posted 2017) [#50]
arawkins

I just came across Dolphin Up in the app gallery. I thought, "That looks like Dolphin Olympics," and then I saw your username. Dolphin Olympics 2 is one of my all-time favorite mindless button mashers. I have spent obscene amounts of time getting that dolphin up to the restaurant. That game is gold. For years, I would occasionally go back to Kongregate hoping to find Dolphin Olympics 3, but it never materialized. I hope you made bank on that game, it was tons of fun.

Simonsuuri(Posted 2017) [#51]
Im here and active, in few weeks im publishing my "first" game in google play :), and the next game im using mx1 also..
last year 2015 i made 12 games with mx1 as part of a one game a month challenge.. onegameamonth.com/ToniSeta too bad that dropbox denied sharing html games few months ago so they are not playable at the moment.

And since we (my team) got an office 2 months ago i have been fooling around with mx1 more in my home.. one project is so called "sliced 3D" system with mojo1, i probably show it later when its better :)

Im really intrigued about mx2 havent tried it yet but read posts about it.. after the second game i propably get enough time to play with.

AnotherMike(Posted 2017) [#52]
I'm still checking in from time to time but I pretty much stopped my plans do do anything "productive" with Monkey. For me it was pretty much the announcement of mx2 which killed my motivation to invest into Monkey as I really don't see the whole thing going anywhere. I think Monkey 1 is very capable as it is and why would I want a new language with all the OO features every invented to create games? I could just as well use any other language. My wish list would have been: New, standard IDE (not just a simple editor), documentation, documentation, documentation and finally a real debugger. -> End of rant ;)