Ignition X vs Pyro

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Ignition X vs Pyro

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#1]
Ignition X or Pyro?, What should I choose? I get this question a lot!
For starters, Pyro ‘only’ supports the OpenGL targets meaning HTML5, iOS, Android and Desktop. So if you need Flash for example you can forget about it. Pyro is also missing the RUBE importer and the TimelineFX ‘plugin’.
Ignition X is an older framework and since most of us evolve I think Pyro is the better framework simply because I had more experience when I was writing it ( and with some help from Mark ). Not to say Ignition X is bad but Pyro just approaches some things a bit differently ( and probably better ). However Ignition X has more demos and examples so I don’t know how much that weighs in.
Bottom line, both Ignition X and Pyro are very capable Monkey frameworks but there will be no Ignition X port for Monkey2!
Pyro however, will be/is being ported to Monkey2!
I hopes this helps!

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hi, I want to target HTML5, iOS and Android so I think Pyro would be a good choice. However, how does it handle different screen-sizes for devices? It can be quite a headache when devices use different aspect ratios. Instead of having black bars, I used to "handle" it by just cutting out part of the game screen, I designed the game so that no important content is located at the screen edges. So a device would just lose a piece of the sky or ground.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#3]
I designed the game so that no important content is located at the screen edges. So a device would just lose a piece of the sky or ground.

Pyro has 3 helpers for virtual resolutions.

1. SetVirtual( 1024,768 )
Adds borders when needed.

2. SetVHeight( 768 )
Stretches the display and insures a height of 768 pixels but you can lose content on the sides.

3. SetVWidth( 1024 )
Opposite of SetVHeight

Did this help?

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#4]
Thanks for your reply Playniax, I think the SetVHeight and SetVWidth would be sort of similar to my approach. Nevertheless, Pyro comes with the entire source code? That way I can modify the source if it is not exactly like what I need.

I am trying to build something unconventional which is like a splitscreen. But I want to use a 6x6 splitscreen setup (so 36 camera's based on a single scene). I see that Pyro uses:

prCamera.SetVerticalSplitScreen()
and
prCamera.SetHorizontalSplitScreen()

Is it possible to extend this to even more splits? I haven't bought it yet so it is hard to see how those functions actually work.

Also the GUI scene-graph seems really nice :) It is drawn on top of the regular game scene-graph right? That way you can easily draw the menu, game buttons on top of the game world.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#5]
I think the SetVHeight and SetVWidth would be sort of similar to my approach

Looks like it.
Pyro comes with the entire source code?

Yes.
Is it possible to extend this to even more splits?

The prCamera.SetVerticalSplitScreen() and prCamera.SetHorizontalSplitScreen() are just some basic helpers but all they do is set the camera position, width and height so if you need 36 cameras you will need to do this yourself.
t is drawn on top of the regular game scene-graph right?

You can draw the scenegraph and gui in any order you like by simply calling the Draw methods.

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#6]
I can't find the SetVirtual, SetVHeight and SetVWidth in the Pyro 1.01n version. What has replaced those functions?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#7]
They can be found in the camera class.

Once a camera is setup you can do something like this:
camera.SetVirtualHeight( 768 )

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#8]
Yes, I understood that but the prCamera class in Pyro v1.01n does not have those methods anymore.

EDIT: They do exist in the online docs in your signature (http://docs.playniax.com/html/Home.html)

EDIT 2: WIthout the SetVirtual methods the e02_virtual_resolution.monkey file does not work anymore either.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#9]
hmm, just downloaded v1.01n and it works fine here. I think I made a typo here on the forum. The commands are SetVirtual, SetVirtualWidth, SetVirtualHeight.
Do the other examples work?

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#10]
Wow this is a large derp from my part. I think I first downloaded v1.01h (because it was at the top of the download list), then v1.01n after figuring that was the newest version. But I copied the playniax module from v1.01h to Monkey-X and used the Pyro bananas and demos from v1.01n. Everything is working now thanks!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#11]
No problem...

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#12]
Hello guys,
please just a little advice. It pays to buy Pyro for MX1?
Thank you!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#13]
I am not objective but I can say it will also gets you Pyro 2 once it is finished...

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#14]
@Playniax
It's OK! Thanks! I like the Pyro! ;-)

I understand that correctly? If I buy Pyro, then I will have Pyro2?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#15]
Yes, license stays valid. Note that Pyro 2 is for Monkey 2. I hope to release Pyro 2 next month.

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#16]
OK, I bought Pyro. It looks very good! I'm going to play with it;) Thanks a lot!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#17]
Thanks for the support, enjoy!