Two Monkeys

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Two Monkeys

skid(Posted 2016) [#1]
I was just wondering how existing monkey users see the future with the new monkey 2 on the horizon.

I find it fascinating watching evolution of the monkey 1 translator transition from blitzmax generation of source to monkey. And now monkey 2 written in monkey seems to have successfully jumped again to a monkey2 written in monkey2 generation.

From a user point of view the implications seem less clear.

How does the new C++ single target monkey2 complement the active monkey x developer?

The first thing that attracts this game coder's eye is std.fiber StartFiber. Old school arcade games like robotron used thread per robot code with this approach so it is very exciting to see it arrive in a BASIC environment.

And there looks to be big wins with build times, and SDL2 to me is way more standard than the more esoteric GLFW.

So perhaps monkey2 could complement monkey developer tool chain by replacing GLFW target. On mobile for both Android and Apple I would personally rate monkey X target over the templates that ship with SDL2 but time will tell...

The reality I think will be that monkey2 opens doors for far more professional engagement with existing game development tool chains (console devkits etc.)

For some of us who just want fresh tidy publish to web snap crackle pop I hope that monkey-x and its small but creative user base will live longer and prosper.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'm hoping I'll adapt, but have to admit I'm struggling with (as someone put rather rudely) the 'boilerplate' aspect so far!

I'm finding it a little too OO and way too wordy to be able to just knock stuff out enjoyably, which I felt Monkey suffered from to some extent (despite many, many improvements over bmx), but now it's even more-so. (See new casting, for example -- ye olde Int (float) versus Cast<Int> (float), from memory. I have to type/remember all this!)

I mean, it's all do-able, and still way preferable to C++/Java, but definitely not as quick and fun any more from my perspective -- though I'm definitely still in BRL-land for the long haul! (Sorry, Mark, feel like a total traitor typing this -- will still keep trying, though!!)

therevills(Posted 2016) [#3]
I'm enjoying the syntax of MX2, its nice and clean and the building process for desktop is quick.

Can't wait for v1.00 and hopefully a decent IDE with auto-complete is around the corner (anyone heard anything from Ziggy?)

The cast check is a bit strange, I'm use to "instanceof" in Java.

Amon(Posted 2016) [#4]
I'm looking forward to learning more about the OO Methodology that MonkeyX2 has been designed to allow. Granted, some of its intricacies when my eyes meet the source code leave me staring at the screen as if frozen in time with my consciousness begging my brain to end its fart so that I may return to normal consciousness only to have it happen again a few moments later when I scrolled down with my mouse.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#5]
For me it will have to be at a pretty mature stage before I would consider changing. Original Monkey has the USP I want - arguably Monkey 2 will be close enough, but it's less focused on straightforward simplicity and portability. I'm mainly interested in mobile and browser - I think it's more the desktop developers who are hyped about Monkey 2.

secondgear(Posted 2016) [#6]
Gerry, I'm in the same boat - I have no interest in desktop targets whatsoever. Waiting for mobile support in Monkey 2. Meanwhile Monkey 1 still delivers excellent portability.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#7]
Honestly I'm not to keen at the moment, being a bit more wordy as Bunny said, one of the things I don't like about C~ is the stupidly long object.param calls for doing simple things, not sure what it's like now but last time I looked at it you would have a line of text the width of Europe with 500 parameters just to draw a sprite a 10,10 .. one of the key things for monkey is how straight forward it is, I hope that does not get lose on MX2.

I also love building for Html5 I find it a joy just hitting build & Compile and seeing my code running in my browser, same goes for running my code on my phone or tablet, these are top of my list for moving from Max to monkey.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#8]
Un-related to the language but holy crap I actually HATE as in bold text all caps HATE the mx2 site theme.. for the love of god use PHPBB 3 or some other thirdparty GOOD well designed and robust forums it will let you do so many cool things that will add easily features that we users can use and enjoy.

to name a few..

- Easy addition of bbforum codes, things like {code}{/code} or {youtube} etc, also allows you to create your own so you could easily allow us to embed our html5 games right there in the forum's.
- Allow things like up/down votes for helping users find the most relevant response to a question, helps users by not having to troll through pages and pages of replies.
- Gives access to add-ons and extensions which can expand use further.

so many cool things it can do that would just make life here on the forums so much nicer.

skid(Posted 2016) [#9]
Hate stars, what ever next.

Amon(Posted 2016) [#10]
Hate stars, what ever next.

Plus 1's and Like buttons. Religous flamewars. Unrelenting stupidity in getting banned and a good offensive word filter. sniff... ^.^

skid(Posted 2016) [#11]
A skype bot dating a facebook bot alerting you of your failure to pass the turing test involving pictures of elephants.

wiebow(Posted 2016) [#12]
skid: The first thing that attracts this game coder's eye is std.fiber StartFiber. Old school arcade games like robotron used thread per robot code with this approach so it is very exciting to see it arrive in a BASIC environment.

You call M2 a BASIC environment? I find less and less basic, and more java... I'm fine by that, I like to learn new stuff, but I cannot call Monkey BASIC anymore, apart from some logic loops etc.

BUT: focus on desktop and having more BMAX functionality really connects with me, and so far I like it, although the current state is hard to work with if you have not used monkey1 as well for a year or two.

Amon(Posted 2016) [#13]
A skype bot dating a facebook bot alerting you of your failure to pass the turing test involving pictures of elephants.

Indeed.

On a side: The Turing Test Elephants are the out of context objects during the mindset created for you when preparing for the test.

What is the purpose? It determines the course of action you would take in a situation that needs you to focus and stay on the path that leads to success and not failure, life and not death. Deviating from that path in some bizarre, non-logical way is what the test wants to capture.

An example, yes...it's going to be a Star Trek one...

As the captain of the Enterprise you battle and kick some seriouss ass during a fight with the Klingons. Your actions saved hundreds of lives and all are teleported to your ship. Then for no reason you go and fly at warp speed in to the Sun.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#14]
oh god please don't star something you agree with, you will incur the wrath of people that do not agree with you.

Amon(Posted 2016) [#15]
oh god please don't star something you agree with, you will incur the wrath of people that do not agree with you.

Personally, I wouldn't let it bother me. It is a problem they have with themselves.

skid(Posted 2016) [#16]
star wars