Is it a good idea for me to buy Monkey X Studio?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Is it a good idea for me to buy Monkey X Studio?

JohnathanS(Posted 2016) [#1]
So I bought Monkey back when it was Monkey Pro and it first came out, but then I ended up not using it do to other distractions at this point my education level was very limited as I was a high school and was not very good with programming or game development. I have since finished my high school education, and gone to college a couple different schools. My biggest passion has been game development, but I have spent a lot of time doing web development and learning about programming. I am now working toward getting my B.S. in Software Development because it is where my passion is at, so my question is should I get back into monkey and buy the $200 Studio edition which comes with Playniax Ignition engine? I am seeing that Pyro is now available as a successor to ignition does it come with Studio Edition or does it also have to be bought separate?

Question 1:
Should I buy the Studio Edition of Monkey X?

Question 2:
Does it come with Pyro or is that a separate purchase?

Question 3:
Would Monkey be versatile enough for developing software for multi-platform not just games?

Question 4:
Is monkey secure enough for using it as a way to make a living developing mobile apps and desktop applications, and finally HTML5 applications?

Question 5:
What sort of limitations does monkey have?

I ask these questions because if I could take majority of my development to one language, and then allow the ease and simplicity of development then I would like to do so. Also I am looking at Monkey because my g/f is looking to get into development with me, we are planning on making small games and educational applications for the mobile platform, but also looking to make desktop software.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hi,

I recommend trying the 30 days trial versions of Ignition X and/or Pyro

The zip files contains both a free version of Monkey X and the Ignition X or Pyro modules (pre-installed).

PLEASE! make sure that you build the .monkey files (bananas, demos, etc.) with the Monkey X version that comes with this zip! or IT WILL NOT WORK! Probably best to open it from within Ted!

I will try to answer some of your questions...

Question 2: Separate purchase
Question 3: It is but without a third party framework you will need to build a lot your self like for example a GUI, XML etc.

As for the other question that is up to the individual I guess.

As for your possible choice for our frameworks, depends on what you need but note that Pyro will be ported to Monkey2 (license stays valid), Ignition X not!

Here some more info: http://www.playniax.com/blog/

JohnathanS(Posted 2016) [#3]
Hey Playniax, the reason I pulled monkey out again was because of my g/f interest in developing with me. Your site showing off Pyro really peeked our interest because if seems like a pretty powerful framework to be using, and I am definitely interested in owning it.. and you kinda answered my question about ignition and pyro, basically pyro is the future of monkey. I would like to get the better quality in development so I would focus on Pyro as it is taking advantage of Mojo 2 which allows for some really nice lighting and particle effects.

I guess the other question would be is there limitations to what can be created in monkey? I am currently taking some crash courses on getting back into understanding the language syntax, recently I have been using Java, and Python for software development in school. I understand the needing to build the GUI myself since there is not a built in gui library, but using just monkey code I could create any type of software? Or is there limitations, the big target is going to be mobile games for educational and recreational time.

I am pretty set that if monkey is able to do just about anything you want to do that I will take advantage of the time it can save, and I already determined that I want to buy the Pyro Framework if I am going to be using monkey.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#4]
Please note that included Jungle IDE is Windows-only. Mollusk and Jentos IDE support
more platforms, and there are addon-packages available for Sublime Text and Atom.

AFAIK ziggy is working on a cross-platform successor to Jungle, based on Java.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#5]
Monkey is a general purpose language, so it can in principle create any type of software. It is kind of targeted at games, though - for example there is no native GUI which is fine for games as you would never want a game to look like a native app - but you might want a business app to do so.

But there is nothing any app does that some game does not also do!

abakobo(Posted 2016) [#6]
But there is nothing any app does that some game does not also do!

Mojo1&2 are actually pretty bad with sound... you are limited to play sample in a non tracked way. So any serious sound app is impossible to do with monkey+mojo1/2.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2016) [#7]
Good point about sound - though ironically enough that's more of a game thing!