Starting again.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Starting again.

Kaltern(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi folks. I started a project a couple of years ago, got a good halfway through before illness and other bad things forced me to give up.

Now I'm back and I need to finish what I started. Naturally it's been such a long time I've pretty much forgotten what I'm doing, so I've elected to rewrite my code from scratch, retaining only the most useful (and understandable) bits of my original code!

Now, the main issue I have is databases. I intend to have a database controlling the game in the background, connected to by a single server, which game clients connect to. The client side code is pretty straightforward, and the server itself will also be written in Monkey, mainly cos I knind of know what I'm doing. (I once tried it in VS12 VB... messy, very messy.)

As for the database, ideally I want it to be an SQL of some kind, but I cannot find a reasonably easy way to access it within monkey. I remember reading about it 2 years ago on here, and there were a couple of ideas which never seemed to come to fruition.

So I ask, is there anything out there now, that would allow simple access to a SQL database running on a Windows PC? Grateful for any info :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'm sure that diddy guys did.... [edit - found it http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9928 ] one will have a look for it in a second, not sure if this will be fit for your needs but it's worth a look they write good clean code.

I know what it's like to have a break from writing code forced on you, giving up on your old code is not a bad idea, but its not the only idea either you could take some time to get to know it again, it's a viable option and would save you some time.

If your set on doing things from scratch then before you start you should have a really good look through the modules forum and see if there is anything new that might help you on your way 2 years is a fairly long time I'm sure there will be some things in there that might help with multiplayer and networking that might not have been around when you had to quit.

good luck.

Kaltern(Posted 2016) [#3]
Thats good advice about looking about for new things. I'm thankfully not writing anything overly complex (unless you call a multiplatform, multiplayer quizgame with lots of trimmings overly complex... actually looking back at my code, it is....) and I'm already remembering such useful things like what Cls() does... so hopefully I'll actually get this one finished :P

Actually, looking at this old code it's astounding I even knew what I was doing - I think I declared a variable for each variable... my declaration section was over a page long!

Oh and awesome work on finding the Diddy module, that's definitely useful stuff!