Monkey Dev's Skype Group.

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Monkey Dev's Skype Group.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#1]
Would anyone be interested in joining a group/conversation type thing on Skype?

I have a group which I used to have a few people in other monkey dev's but I guess they no longer use monkey any more so thought I might as well ask if anyone else is into the idea, it's a quick and pain free way of talking about monkey or getting some quick response to some help or what ever..

If your interested let me know ..

You can find me by Searching for ( taiphoz ) if you request a contact with me be sure to mention monkey otherwise I might ignore it.

Join the Chat https://join.skype.com/whvIzFwIkrc6

FelipeA(Posted 2016) [#2]
I'd be interested. It could be an IRC or Slack too. There is also gitter (https://gitter.im/) which is nice too

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#3]
I'v tried doing IRC a number of times it normally starts out ok but then goes quiet, my hope is that with skype essentially being embedded with windows these days that most people will probably have it , and already have it running so more likely to use it.

Give me your name to search on skype I will add you.(same for anyone else.)

FelipeA(Posted 2016) [#4]
My skype id is adrenochromeart :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#5]
Got it, adding you as a contact ...

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#6]
OK, I will give it a try. Mine is: playniax

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#7]
Added, and Added... more welcome.

I need to stress anyone using monkey even if you are a beginner and just starting to learn monkey this might actually be a good thing for you giving you another route to gain help and sound out ideas.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#8]
Not sure if it's just my skype being buggy but cant seem to send messages to the group, will leave it a little bit and see if it works, but if it still fails I will make a fresh one and re-invite, lol just my luck :/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#9]
Seems to be working now.

ratking(Posted 2016) [#10]
I have Skype but I would prefer IRC. Could be a general Blitz* and Monkey channel, so it would be a bit less silent.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#11]
I don't recall what IRC server it was but we have spoken a few times on irc, tested your tri's game while it was being made and as I recall recommended monkey to you. might have been the ludum irc channel ? I forget now tho it was a while ago.

Anyway while I agree IRC would be nice the honest truth is that fewer and fewer people use it these days there are so many ways of communicating with each other I feel it better than we go with whats most common.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#12]
Count me in: martin.leidel

ratking(Posted 2016) [#13]
Paul, yeah, I remember that. Must have been Ludum Dare.

I wouldn't know that Skype is more common for group chats. If anything, Slack seems to be the big thing now. (Which uses IRC, by the way.)

Monklet80(Posted 2016) [#14]
I'm up for this. Can't remember my skype name but I'll look yous guys up.

Cool suggestion.

AnotherMike(Posted 2016) [#15]
My name on Skype is mike.ch.dev.

Danilo(Posted 2016) [#16]
For IRC the Freenode network would be the best, in my opinion.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#17]
had a brilliant chat tonight with Playnix and some other's screen sharing is a handy thing to be able to do in this group, more people are welcome just throw in your skype name so we can search for it and add you :)

Pengwin(Posted 2016) [#18]
Just sent a request... Skype name is moxley71

FelipeA(Posted 2016) [#19]
I don't know if I left the group or got kicked but I cannot see the messages anymore.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#20]
Nah felipe your still there.

Samah(Posted 2016) [#21]
To be honest, if you want a little more dynamic community involvement, Mark should start up a Slack group for BRL and related products. The Blitz community seems to be a lot more active than Monkey, so a central point for everyone would give Monkey developers more of a reason to hang around in the #monkeyx channel or whatever.

I use Slack for both work and Ingress, and it's pretty awesome. The Android, iOS, and desktop clients are all really good (especially the OS X client).
Edit: There's a web client too.

ratking(Posted 2016) [#22]
Unfortunately I will never use Slack, I'm too happy with IRC. I really don't want to have 3 chat clients open.

Samah(Posted 2016) [#23]
@ratking: Unfortunately I will never use Slack, I'm too happy with IRC. I really don't want to have 3 chat clients open.

Tell me about it, every community I join uses a different bloody mobile chat program. Google Hangouts, Slack, Telegram, Skype... urgh!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#24]
exactly why I went with skype, most people have it, a lot of people use it so it made sense. it's also not something you need to leave open all the time to be part of the group you can just open it when a new message comes in or at the weekend and back read what you missed.

At the moment I think we have about 10 people or there about I don't have skype open at the moment , among those 10 we have some interesting people module developers artists and programmers so conversations have been pretty good and interesting.

Samah(Posted 2016) [#25]
@Taiphoz: ...it's also not something you need to leave open all the time to be part of the group you can just open it when a new message comes in or at the weekend and back read what you missed.

Slack is the same, and you can (optionally) get it to send you an email and/or push notification if someone mentions you while you're offline. Then when you load it back up, you can scroll up and read all the history. Also you can have a central place for uploading files, etc.

k.o.g.(Posted 2016) [#26]
Here skype: be.aregger

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#27]
Added you, or sent a request at least, once you accept I will pull you into the group.

Samah(Posted 2016) [#28]
*removed*

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#29]
Sent you a request shane, once your on my list I can add you, wish it would let me just send invites rather than need people to already be in my list but oh well.

ratking(Posted 2016) [#30]
Hm, okay, let's try it... my Skype is "ablagestapel".

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#31]
Done and Done :) welcome welcome.

bitJericho(Posted 2016) [#32]
add me, my skype name is bitJericho

I also run an irc server and promote it on these forums, tho nobody seems to use it, I am always there :) irc://irc.friendbit.org:+6697/#lobby

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#33]
how do I make that skype group easier for people to join ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#34]
updated the OP with a link that will join people into the group chat on skype.