Skin for the monkey website? (Eyestrain)

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Skin for the monkey website? (Eyestrain)

Monklet80(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi all,

I'm new here, and learning a lot from the tutorials and code snippets people have posted (thanks to all concerned) but I'm running into a non-programming issue: eye strain.

Switching from dark text on light background to light text on dark background and back again is painful after a while and I have to stop looking things up. Needless to say this is a problem, because being really new I have to look everything up.

Is there a way to make the website appear differently so I can work around this? I know some forums allow the users to pick the skin but I can't find this option here.

I realise this is not a problem everyone has, but it would make a real difference to me if all the text was black on white, including the code snippets. If there is a browser-side solution to this, I would be very happy to know about that, too.

Thanks for your time.

malublu(Posted 2016) [#2]
Jear i use a browser site solution ;)
Look to Stylisch.
You can edit the site with css with a profile.
What i also use is greasemonkey.
With them you can inject javascript files.
Monkey-x example:
background dark and whote text with stylisch
and better code boxes (like popout boxes) with greasmonkey.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2016) [#3]
You may also want to try adjusting your monitor, or use something like f.lux. I use it personally, but I also configured it to be more subtle.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#4]
far to bright, far to white its all wrong.

Monklet80(Posted 2016) [#5]
Malublu, thanks for the tip. Stylish does look like what I need. It's been ages since I wrote CSS though! You couldn't possibly post your code for the monkey site, could you?

Immutable, I love f.lux. Maybe I could get it installed in work on health and safety grounds. Hm...

Thanks all.

malublu(Posted 2016) [#6]
Hmmm sorry i haven't write it yet, it was only an example what you can do.
The new monkey2 site is dark!
But i can write a simple css file. (Not beauty or perfect, but it should work).
Here a simple and crazy hack ^^:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("monkey-x.com") {
  body {
    filter: invert(100%);
    background-color: #2A2E43;
  }
  img, .img, .flag, svg, .at-icon-wrapper, .code, .sub, .navbar, .btn {
    filter: invert(100%);
  }
}

Monklet80(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks, man. I'll try and get it to work.