Subnautica's bug reporting...

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Subnautica's bug reporting...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#1]
Any of you played it ?

It's not the first time it's been done I'm sure I saw it WoW at some point as well but I feel like Subnautica's implementation of it is perfect and I was thinking that having that functionality not only in our IDE but in our own projects as well might be something worth looking into.

For those who have not seen or used it before while playing the game or a game with it implemented you press a hotkey which slides in a debug window, in this window you have a few options, in subnauticas case you have a twitter like text box to give a short description of your issue, you have a tickbox for sending a screenshot with your report which is automatic and you have a selection of emoji's going from happy to pissed off.

Entering info and submitting sends the data to the developer, I think this part probably differ's per developer, things like trello or some other tracking system.

So does anyone have any thoughts ?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2016) [#2]
Seen this in Valve's TF2 way back in 2007. They let you take a screencap and submit a bug report right from inside the game.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2016) [#3]
I've put something similar in a few things. The user reporting bit can be more trouble than it's worth but auto-reporting of crashes with stack dumps, logs etc. is invaluable, particularly in the early days of a release. You'll find that even supposed beta testers just won't bother to tell you about issues and having reports sent automatically will let you know about problems that you'd otherwise never hear about until there's someone ranting in a forum or one starring your app.

The simplest way I found was to just fire it as a web request. The server then sticks it in a database, sends an email or whatever.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2016) [#4]
Yeah web request with an upload for optional screen shots, I might have a bash at this at some point and try and package it up nice and neat so that others can use it, if I manage it in my spare time I will throw what I'v done on the code forums for others to pull apart or use.