Email claiming to leak my info from Patreon Hack

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Email claiming to leak my info from Patreon Hack

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi peeps,

I received an email this morning with the following details:

Unfortunately your data was leaked in the recent hacking of the Patreon web site and I now have your information. I have your tax id, tax forms, SSN, DOB, Name, Address, Credit card details and more sensitive data. Now, I can go ahead and leak your details online which would damage your credit score like hell and would create a lot of problems for you.

If you would like to prevent me from doing this then you need to send 1 bitcoin to the following BTC address.

Bitcoin Address:
1QAQTyhCzAfvp8uLpneBNamWTNRR1hx9Cp

You can buy bitcoins using online exchanges easily. The bitcoin address is unique to you. Sending bitcoin takes take, so you better get started right now, you have 48 hours in total.

Has anyone received this kind of email?

I'm not too concerned, however I am extremely pissed off about this as I don't have time for this shit.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#2]
I got the same. Looks like we wrote our postings at the same time, so I didn't see your new topic before.
I know my e-mail address was leaked, and maybe the display/account name "Danilo", nothing more AFAIK.

Just annoying SPAM, and in this case I would say it's attempted extortion.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#3]
It's a scam. They likely only have your e-mail. Ignore it. Don't reply. If your info really is out there they would not be the only one with access to it. Unfortunately most likely many people will fall for it and give them money which will only encourage them more. Also, they are liars - they sent the same wallet id to everyone. I got multiple e-mails all went into spam folder. At least so far no one has sent them money. Hopefully none do, and the scammer attempting this gets caught.

https://blockchain.info/address/1QAQTyhCzAfvp8uLpneBNamWTNRR1hx9Cp

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#4]
Few things to consider, the first would be that the person your dealing with probably has nothing to do with the people who executed the initial hack, hacks like these the data almost always makes it's way onto darkweb sites where it's sold based on either its e-mail list or it's banking data, so there is a good chance the person or group who has it now is not the same, it's also worth knowing that these sales are often not exclusive so if one person has it others probably will as well.

Knowing what I know what I would do is immediately call your local police department NOT 999 as its not an emergency but get the actual number for your local PD and explain the situation, the person e-mailing you is trying to extort you which is a hefty crime and since that act is also linked to a high profile cyber crime it will kick your complaint upto your countries cyber division, this does a few things, first of all it secures you against any potential damage as one of the first things any insurer will ask is did you call the police, to which your answer needs to be yes, the second thing it does it gets cyber involved which will aid their already involved investigation into the initial hack.

The final thing I would do is contact your banks alert them to the possibility of your data being leaked/hacked however you want to phrase it and that will then secure your finance against any potential theft, even if they do withdraw money since you reported it your bank will refund and track it and that then gets their fraud department involved and believe it or not bank's have some top rate investigators.

Bottom line is , Secure your data, call each of the corresponding places like the Tax Office, your Bank, etc and alert them to the situation and let them take it from there, after that if these criminals try and extort you more or if they actually go through with leaking your data your safe and all their doing is leaving more digital finger prints to follow.

These people are not hackers, their criminals so deal with them accordingly.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#5]
Yeah I got this as well, I didn't pay it any attention though as if they had all the details they say and could do anything with them they would have already done it and would not be emailing me to tell me they have my details.

I just ignored it and sent it to the same place my fake Apple invoices, fake Tax returns, fake bank logins and Nigerian Prince emails go.