XBox One target?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/XBox One target?

SLotman(Posted 2015) [#1]
So... I activated my devkit last weekend (got it on the id@xbox program), and now I am looking more in depth the documentation, samples and so on.

Of course, I can't comment much here - but the kit uses Direct-X 11 (or 12) - just as the WinRT target - some functions in the sample looks very similar to the ones used by Monkey for WinRT.

My question is: is there anyway to adapt the WinRT target, to drop all the C# part and just use C++? How do you define in Monkey where the translated code goes?

I do have an ongoing DX9 target in the making - but that is built on top of the old GLFW2 target - no big changes made.

I could bet that someone with real good Monkey knowledge could do this in a day or two... things looks really similar in both ends :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#2]
I would love for Monkey/Monkey 2 to support ID@XB, but going off what skid said in here: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9987 it doesn't look too promising.

Maybe if we crowdfunded the target somebody with the skills needed would be able to do it?

Not sure if you are allowed to say much, but what game did you get accepted on the ID@XB program?
I looked a while ago but it basically said to start with it was only established devs that were being admitted to the program.

Congrats btw! :)

skid(Posted 2015) [#3]
My question is: is there anyway to adapt the WinRT target, to drop all the C# part and just use C++?

I suspect the answer is no and building a new target from the ground up may take a solid month of dev to get perfect but will be the way to go.

If you want some help don't hesitate to email me as I am available for some target dev duties and don't mind signing stuff to "join your team" if necessary.

I suppose the legal situation would mean an xbox target would be covered by NDA and not be redistributable?

I'll have a look at a tutorial for the first steps I would take to build a monkey xbox target.

SLotman(Posted 2015) [#4]
I mentioned to the ID@Xbox team being accepted at the Indie Prize Awards at Casual Connect - that was enough for me to get the devkit :)
(I only got one though - I don't have enough space here for two :/ )

...but going off what skid said in here: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9987 it doesn't look too promising.

I'm looking at source code here - samples straight from Microsoft, and it's a plain C++ / DirectX-11 code.very, very similar to the one in WinRT target. If I can get rid of the C# part (compilation is still done with VS2012), I think it will mostly work without changing much - just removing the mouse/keyboard parts, and adding whatever necessary for gamepad input (haven't look at this yet).

If you want some help don't hesitate to email me as I am available for some target dev duties and don't mind signing stuff to "join your team" if necessary.

Heh, the "team" is only me right now :(

I suppose the legal situation would mean an xbox target would be covered by NDA and not be redistributable?

Yup. It probably could be redistributable to other devs with devkits - but I doubt it could be "openly" shared.

I'll take a deeper look into the project sample/template and see if I can get anything going with monkey... will report soon :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#5]
I'll take a deeper look into the project sample/template and see if I can get anything going with monkey... will report soon :)

Good luck!
*crosses fingers*

adwool(Posted 2016) [#6]
Great post I like read article such like it