Thank you, MonkeyX!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Thank you, MonkeyX!

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2015) [#1]
I would like to thank Mark Sibly for creating such a fine product!
It helped me to get into OOP and created a foundation to help me learn other "mainstream" languages liek C and e.t.c.
Now I am studying at web-development courses so I basically switched from MonkeyX to JavaScript and will be studying php (or node.js) and three.js soon.
No I'm not saying that I'm leaving (not that anyone would care in the first place ^_^ )
I still consider monkey the best for mobile apps and I will definetly be here when 3D module comes out, so basically all I wanted is to thank Mark and this great community.
Cheers!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#2]
Beware of the darkside :)

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#3]
be here when 3D module comes out

Did I miss an announcement from Mark?

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#4]
No Mike. There won't be a 3d module from Mark.

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#5]
Is monkey still moving forwards it seems to have gone quiet on the development front

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#6]
The successor of MX (MX2) seems to be in the planning stage for 3 or 4 month, and it looks like
planning isn't completely finished yet.
Development of many big (open source) projects is always done over several years, and I consider MX2 not to be
much different from other big projects. Try to be realistic and expect the base (useable) compiler system next year (2016),
and changes + more libraries over time ... over the next several years, actually (hope more people jump on the wagon, once it is on GitHub).

It's just not realistic to expect something as big as MX2 (compiler + tools + libraries, all multi-platform (including mobile))
to be ready within 2 or 3 month - even with a team (requires additional coordination and communication).

BRL has a bad reputation of abandoning things (BlitzBasic, Blitz3D, Blitz+, BlitzSDK, BlitzMax, etc.),
so I hope this time it will last longer because it is fully open source.
But, unfortunately, that's no guarantee they don't abort it at one point - many open source projects just die
or get unnecessary/redundant if better projects arrive.
MX2, MX3, MX4, MX5, ... just continuous versions of the same, enhancing, system/project... over 30 years, or so. Would be nice,
but with that history I'm not sure.

The general system, "BASIC-like" (easy to use, bracket-less), full OOP support (incl. Generics/Templates),
super-cross-platform (incl. Mobile and all major Desktops), ...is at least very promising.

hub(Posted 2015) [#7]

BRL has a bad reputation of abandoning things (BlitzBasic, Blitz3D, Blitz+, BlitzSDK, BlitzMax, etc.)

Just note that i'm not agree with you on this Danilo.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#8]
Well, many people WITHIN the BRL community got disappointed by BRL. Many people still use Blitz3D
and don't want to move on to MX.
Same with BMX - many people there are staying with BMX, and guys like Brucey do their own forks and
developments now - because BRL did not support those guys and abandoned the product in favor of something new.
I don't have any connection to this guy, but I can understand what and why Brucey is doing what he is doing.

I tried to advertise for MX2 within other communities (for example the PureBasic community), but the
general reputation there isn't that nice, from outside. Because many commercial products have been aborted,
and now, that it's useless, the dead products have been made open source.

Personally I see it more differentiated, and I can see progress over the whole product line.
I can see how it evolved to more platforms, and how it evolved from a procedural language
to an advanced object-oriented language.