Game mode choice....

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Game mode choice....

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
I have two possible game modes in mine for Orbit, I would rather pick just one than having both in..

Option 1. : You defend the planet from asteroids, you start with a shield, if your planet takes damage you lose the level, if you clear all of the asteroids you advance to the next stage, nice simple and traditional, kinda.

Option 2 : You start with a bare planet and no shield, the act of killing the asteroids rewards you with **SOMETHING** this thing you get is then used to rebuild the planet shield, the asteroids are unlimited, and you advance to the next stage when your planet has a full shield around it, This gives me a chance to reward players with 1-3 stars based on how healthy the shield is at the end of the stage..

Opinions on a post card and sent to PO BOX BLAH BLAH, or just reply here, or get me on twitter or facebook, links bellow..

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#2]
I like option 2 the best

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#3]
Option 1 sounds like Classic, and Option 2 sounds like Arcade.
If it were me, I'd start by making a menu with both in, to force myself to do both.

Option 2 sounds more staged, as opposed to option 1 being endless, so if you want to add extra juicy stuff, you're better off doing it with option 2. Powerups, special bonuses, achievements, that sort of thing, sounds better with option 2.

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Option 1 for me, this sounds a bit more arcadey, which suits the type of game more IMHO.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#5]
Or you could have a standard version 1, with an occasional 'bonus' level that uses version 2 mechanics.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#6]
I have a habbit of going out of scope and throwing far to much into a project when it really does not need it this choice I am enforcing on myself is my way of making sure I do not go out of scope and end up in a feature creep situation, I am heading down the Option 2 path it seems most of the people that got back to me liked that idea more.

Which sounds more complicated but actually makes things a bit simpler in terms of code, just means I need to do some more art.