@Mark/Simon upload size?

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/@Mark/Simon upload size?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
I was wondering if you might lift or at least increase the file size limit on app uploads ?

At least until you reach a stage where your running out of space and then impose some file size limits or bandwidth limits, there are a number of nice little games which cant be uploaded because of the limit.

It's not uncommon for apps to be between 50 and 100 meg these days or larger..

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#2]
I dunno about you, but from my viewpoint, an html5 game over 30 mb is probably in dire need of some optimization.....

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Just a few counter points to that, First of all Html5 is the format were forced to upload to the site in, its not necessarily the intended target for the game or app in question, I do not think that should be a road block to us showcasing our work, secondly and with the first point in mind over 30 meg is nothing for a mobile app these days not to mention anything actually aimed at desktop.

Given that we already have an obstacle in our way from showcasing our work on this site in the form of the Html5 only format I just think that having another in the form of file size is simply limiting the things we could show, there really are not that many full games on the apps section only a handful of apps that actually showoff what monkey can do and I think thats a shame and more a result of the limitations on the site not the language.

It might just be me tho, who knows.

EDIT:: I know we can list stuff that's not playable and then link to it some where else, but honestly that's just another hoop were making the user jump through and just another reason for them not to bother, people are lazy we need to make content like this easy for them to digest, not harder.

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#4]
[Edit:] Could you upload an HTML5 app that when clicked on by the user links to your own website? Perhaps that will be easier for all?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#5]
Could you upload an HTML5 link page to your own website? Perhaps that will be easier for all?
As far as I know not as it stands at the moment. There is nothing to stop them implementing the use of iframes the next time the site is updated. They would have to include a disclaimer that the application isn't hosted on www.monkey-x.com.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#6]
I don't understand the 'playable' distinction, unless they're afraid of malware on off-site apps. And it seems to me a disclaimer would be enough for that. Most of us would happily click through on this kind of site anyway even without a disclaimer.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#7]
It's fear of malware I suspect, which makes me wonder why they opted for html5 and not flash, I know people will use their mobile to view the site and flash in that situation might cause problems, but not any more than using a mobile to view an app that needs a PC keyboard and mouse or gamepad to play.

I think some options would be nice, like uploading flash or html5 and the ability as described above to embed an offsite app with an iframe and a disclaimer that makes the source of the app clear and warns that the app is not hosted on monkey-x.com.