Ignition X roadmap

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Ignition X roadmap

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

I've put together a 'roadmap' of what we are (or are likely) to be implementing in the near future.

I'll update it every now and then.

First of all on popular demand, a better tile system / engine with proper support for Tiled. I clearly have underestimated the need for it. The current tile system is not that bad really (just a bit misunderstood) but the editor I made is far to basic obviously. So that is the first thing we are going to correct. We have already written the importer and now we just need to improve the tile system itself. This is the next ‘big thing’ for Ignition X and has the highest priority now.

Anyway, here we go: (this list is subject to change)

Short term:

• XML
• Base64
• TimelineFX support
• Full Tiled support

Long term:

• World Editor (I have a working version of it already that we use for our own games)
• Desktop GUI components

Ongoing:

• Common code
• Documentation
• Tutorials
• Demos

We are also working working on some games that will probably spawn extra functionality for the framework.

Bye,

Tony

garyk1968(Posted 2014) [#2]
Great work Tony!

Thanks for the update.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed Playniax, it's really appreciated.

Most looking forward to proper Tiled support, and any Spine Module updates to include features in the latest version.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#4]
Just a little update on the progress we are making...

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=321&p=546#p546

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#5]
Best Monkey X Framework, and a must-have. Thanks!

When I mention Monkey X to other people, I always tell them about Ignition X first.
Ready-to-run feature demos on the site, so people get interested.
People just love good screenshots/pictures/videos and instantly run-able demos (like HaxeFlixel with 50+ feature demos online),
to see different things that are possible with this product. It is the fastest way to get an overview about what's possible with the product.
It raises expectations and draws interest. What are you able to do with this product? Is it really that easy
to do a cross-platform app/game, possibly making some millions $$$ with it?

Second thing I mention is Monkey X, followed by must-have IDEs like Mollusk, Jentos IDE, and Jungle IDE (Windows only).

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#6]
Ignition X certainly looks amazing, I am considering buying it to add to my repertoire.

Just a couple of questions Playniax, was all this done using Monkey X ? no other code or plugins?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks guys!

Yes, Ignition is pure monkey code, no native stuff so in theory it should work on all monkey targets.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#8]
The following features we can remove from the to do list:

• XML support
• Base64 support
• Full Tiled support

This is all in the latest Ignition X beta and hopefully this will be the final beta before release.

Now we will continue to work on TimelineFX support and the tweening module.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#9]
Just to let you know, the tweening and TimelineFX support have been delayed.

One of the reasons for this is that we had to rewrite the tile system for X because the ‘old’ one was the Achilles heel of Ignition so we decided to deal with it and do a complete rewrite and it turned out great but it took more time then we thought.

And I still need to improve the documentation on the tile engine but after our attention will go back to the tweening and timelineFX stuff.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#10]
TimelineFX - check

Just added it to V2.05!

samowitsch(Posted 2014) [#11]
+1

skape(Posted 2015) [#12]
TimelineFX, woooo! :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#13]
Okay, after a lttile 'derail' (in this case a good thing) because of the partnerships with BRL and Ziggy from LemonBytes we are 'back on track' picking up where we have left.

Also, I plan to post some screenshots of the world editor and gui stuff soon.

The word editor is turning in to a fun and powerful tool!

skape(Posted 2015) [#14]
Great news!

Any news on the Tweening module? ;)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#15]
We need to sort out some bugs and to finish the documentation and examples.

It will be the next big thing.

CodeGit(Posted 2015) [#16]
Ignition X has become a "must have" for Monkey, thanks for the continued work on this. :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#17]
This is a preview of the editor that we are creating for Ignition X (subject to change!) using the GUI we are building:

The editor can be used to edit levels by importing images/objects and position them in a virtual world.
The images/objects can be given all kind of properties like for example a name.
The level data can be loaded in your game and casted while loading to the object you desire.
You can find the object by name and create code for it.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#18]
That looks great! So it's primarily just a tool for positioning objects and setting properties?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#19]
So it's primarily just a tool for positioning objects and setting properties?

Yes it is.

Once the data is loaded in your game you can do something like this:

Global player:Player=iGetObject("player")

And in the update method or where ever:

Method OnUpdate()
    If KeyDown(KEY_LEFT) player.x-=1
    If KeyDown(KEY_RIGHT) player.x+=1
End Method

CopperCircle(Posted 2015) [#20]
Looks great :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#21]
Damn that looks good.

skape(Posted 2015) [#22]
That looks awesome. Nice work.

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#23]
Shut up and take my money!

skape(Posted 2015) [#24]
Reminds me a bit of the whole Torque TGB editor thing they had going there for a while. :)

vic(Posted 2015) [#25]
Wow... that's looking good Tony, I bet those graphics are from Peter ;)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#26]
Yep, Peter does all Playniax gfx

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#27]
Nice work! Ignition is really getting to be the goto tool. Maybe you will turn it into Unity2D before it is all over :P

RenK(Posted 2015) [#28]
Very glad I just came back to Monkey. good things coming out and that editor looks great. Definitely know I'm getting the Monkey Pro + Ignition X Bundle with my next paycheck :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#29]
ok, but keep in mind that the gui and editor are not finished yet :)

RenK(Posted 2015) [#30]
I realized that, just looking ahead ;) Everything I see of Ignition makes it look more than worth throwing a bit of money at the screen.