Selected for Indie Prize Showcase!

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/Selected for Indie Prize Showcase!

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#1]
That's right! My game "Escape from Alcatraz", written in Monkey was selected to be displayed at the "Indie Prize Showcase", in San Francisco, during the Casual Connect!

It isn't my first time in USA, but it will be my first time in San Francisco, and my first Casual Connect! I'm really excited for this opportunity :)

Any 'Monkeyers' are going to be there? Any hints or tips for a first timer in Casual Connect?

You can see my game in the selected list at their website:
http://usa.indieprize.org/#

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#2]
That is great! Congratulations! California is a pretty great place to visit.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well done!

Supertino(Posted 2014) [#4]
I still have it installed, I think I got out of the cell but got stuck after that, time to fire it up cus' all the cool kids will be playing it soon. Gratz

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#5]
Congrats mate, I played a little but never got time to go back and see ifmI could finish it.
Have you paid your own flights etc or has that been paid for you as you were nominated.

Have a great time, and good luck!

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#6]
I'll have to pay for flight/hotel etc myself :(

But anyway, it's great to get some acknowledgement, and some exposure to the game! And seeing how Alcatraz is in SF, I'll have to pay it a visit and take a picture with the game in my hands :)

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#7]
Congrats man!!

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#8]
Remember to post the pic on here, that would be a great photo...
Make sure to visit after the awards though, in case you win and then you can have the trophy in the photo too! :)

Raul(Posted 2014) [#9]
Good news. Congrats!

Salmakis(Posted 2014) [#10]
Dont forget to tell the ppl that you made it with monkey, and how cool monkey is!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#11]
Congrats! Just saw this now, but people out here use Air BnB to find less expensive places to stay (sometimes). If you stay in a hotel near the airport, make sure they have shuttles to BART, which will get you into the city. And the rule of thumb in San Francisco is to dress in layers, because the fog can get VERY cold in the afternoons.

Don't think I'm in town for Casual Connect, but have a good time, everyone is very friendly.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#12]
Adam, thanks!

I'll be staying really close to the event, at "Adante" Hotel, which seems a piece of junk, but it was recommended by the organizers and it is near - walking distance from CC, and cheap!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to visit Alcatraz - I'll arrive at noon on 21st, and at 5pm there's already badge pick-up... the only time I'd have free would be late at night, but Alcatraz visitations at night are all booked up :(

Is the weather really that cold this time in the year?

anawiki(Posted 2014) [#13]
I was in San Francisco this year for GDC. It was great. You probably already have hotel booked, but if not, don't be afraid to get one on the edge of Tenderloin. Everyone I asked advised me to stay away from there and that's good advise, but the edge, like Red Coach Motor Lodge was very good and at 50% of the price of the hotels near Moscone. Don't be afraid to walk a bit. Don't be the one that goes to SF 5 times and never see Golden Gate :D Use booking.com if you haven't tried it yet.

Have a great stay.

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#14]
I guess I'll be one of those that won't see the Gate :(
So many things to do in Casual Connect - I don't think I'll even have time to see the city :(
(Just as an example, my plane should arrive at 11 am... at 2pm, I'm already inscribed in the "Big Indie Pitch"...!)

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#15]
So, Casual Connect was awesome! Not only I talked to A LOT of people about my game, but also about Monkey!

And the best part: I met Mark James, who worked on nothing less than Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion and others from LucasArts, and he liked my game!! What are the odds???

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#16]
Very cool! Even though this is just a hobby for me, I would love to go sometime.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#17]
Good stuff SLotman :)

Now as us English football fans would sing "Get yer pics out for the lads!"