my two cents -- probably not worth much

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Discussion/my two cents -- probably not worth much

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#1]
As far as marketing Monkey I definitely can't complain about the $99 price tag
but just throwing out possible idea . I know to old hacks etc the $100 is not a
problem for investment but out of several billion or so current inhabitants of our
fine planet there are a few out there that might not be willing to shell out the initial
$ 100 for the product -- Having it be free for HTML is nice but that doesn't really get
it out on the average's teens cell or young adults tablet etc. What if the price was
dropped to like $20 for an annual license , or $ 20 dollars for a single
particular device when one is only interested initially in creating apps for android
or maybe just iPhone etc. . Not sure what your numbers are on total sales but I
believe that for a smaller initial cost you could possibly get a magnitude greater
in sales and once they see what a great product it is then continue to add on and pay for additional stuff later.

I think there are a lot of young adults out there that would like to learn how to program and $20 or so is not as hard as trying to shell out $100

I definitely am no marketing major or even a great coder yet. But I am having fun
with this and hope to get better and better.

Again, I think Marks product is worth its weight in gold and I am very happy on my purchase. .

my 2 cents probably not worth that but here it is :)

amando(Posted 2014) [#2]
Honestly I would prefer to pay $100 and a yearly fee of $50 to get updates and new enhancements. If Mark open sources Monkey it's going to be a disaster without his expertise. If you don't renew you keep the version as is, but with full functionality. That could be a way to help Mark's economy.

Name unfortunately is too Generic. Monkey doesn't show on Google in the 1st page and it's difficult to find it.
Blitzbasic and Blitzmax are names that are easy to relate to a programming language: I would changed Monkey for BlitzPro or BlitzMax 2.
I would preferred a Desktop Edition and a Mobile one with different prices. I don't know how many PC games can actually be ported to SmartPhones or consoles without some modifications. Monkey lacks major desktop features that Blitzmax offers. Mobile market IMHO is saturated, there are tons of engines. I am still looking for a great and updated 2D engine (not Unity) for desktop. That would be perfect, as Steam is growing and the quality of some titles (some in GameMaker) are awful.
Swift can be an inspiration for adding new features to Mark. I dislike it syntax and is company independent (Apple). I prefer Monkey far better, but lacks some language features.
Monkey has been designed to replace Blitzmax. If monkey is not getting enough funds and Blitzmax is well known among game developers, then continue enhancing Blitzmax and keep Monkey only updated.
I think the number of platforms are huge. Maybe too many for a single developer. Maybe prioritizing ones over others.

These are also my 2 cents, and express my opinion. You can or don't share my points of view without any problem. All I want is Mark to don't be overstressed and continue enhancing and showing his proven talent.

I